• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where does the overhead console get its temp from?

grahamtwatson

NAXJA Forum User
1990 XJ 4.0 Ltd Auto.

The ambient temperature gauge in the overhead console has recently started showing some VERY odd readings - for example it was -88*F this morning! Seattle *doesn't* get that cold.

I'm assuming that the sensor feeding this gauge is NOT an engine sensor, but I *am* getting poor fuel consumption, and I've changed out every sensor I can find...

Anyone know where the sensor for the overhead console readout lives?

Thanks,
Graham

dizzymac said:
Does you console get wet? Mine does and I get all sorts of percular readings.
Nope, and I even have a sunroof that once did not close right and my seat was wet. Actually, those readings supposed to be very accurate, AFAIK.

If his is like the one I saw in a bone yard once it will be a regular oc with the center section cut out where the sun roof is. They basically just have the readout section and the lights in the front of the sunroof ( kind of like the short ones in some grands) and in back of the sunroof are the rear lights. The one I saw was in an xj that looked like it was stock . I should have grabbed it for the wiring and the brackets but I didnt because I figured the brackets would be different.

xray said:
If his is like the one I saw in a bone yard once it will be a regular oc with the center section cut out where the sun roof is. They basically just have the readout section and the lights in the front of the sunroof ( kind of like the short ones in some grands) and in back of the sunroof are the rear lights. The one I saw was in an xj that looked like it was stock . I should have grabbed it for the wiring and the brackets but I didnt because I figured the brackets would be different.
It's the same overhead console just cut in half and/or shortened.
97-01 XJ's did not come from the factory with a sunroof option. Any sunroofs in a 97+ is aftermarket.

xjoverheadconsolesunroof1.jpg

xjoverheadconsolesunroof3.jpg

Back