• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

overhead console ext. temp

dangerranger

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 90 xj limited. has the overhead console w/ outside temp and compass. the compass works, but the temp gauge doesnt. do the sensors go bad on these? where are they located? cant you get replacements? it jsut show a couple letters or something, i forget what.

Not sure if they go bad, and you can easily find another at a wreckers, off another jeep, or even soem of the chry. minivans. I'd check the wiring and make sure nothings a miss. Always rule out the easiest and obvious first, then work form there.

I have problems with mine too. Sometimes it reads very irradic temps like -37 deg F. and then seems fine. My compass is screwed too, always says "cal" like it's brand new and has to get it's berrings. Unfortunately, I have no idea where the temp sensor is either, but I would love to know too. Sorry

ParkCityXJ said:
I have problems with mine too. Sometimes it reads very irradic temps like -37 deg F. and then seems fine. My compass is screwed too, always says "cal" like it's brand new and has to get it's berrings. Unfortunately, I have no idea where the temp sensor is either, but I would love to know too. Sorry

Some years may be different. I'm not sure, but on my '90 and most I've seen with them, the temp sensor is underneath the front header panel, right in the center.
Have you tried recalebrating the comnpass as per manufacturers directions? As well, I found that if the temp sensor is wired backward, it can do some pretty strange things. Don't know about the compass though. I know this because I added my overhead as it wasn't factory. Was easy putting ground for the compass, but the temp was either one way or the other.
Another option is if the overhead console computer is scewed, you can always try getting another one from the wreckers. Have a 'backup' for mine out of an overhead someone totalled trying to get off. Rather than let the computer scrapped, decided to just grab it.

Hope you get it sorted out!

bumper1.jpg

There's the temp sender location. The letters it's displaying are maeningful, as they indicate whether it's an open sensor or a grounded sensor. That sure helps to troubleshoot it.

In severe cases where the compass doesn't work, the roof may have to be degaussed. The FSM shows the procedures to follow. I'd recommend calibrating the compass as described first though.

my compass works fine, it seems to be accurate, never shows 'cal'. the temp comes on at first, and usually rises quickly, goes well over 100, then shows SC. i just had the key on, not running, started at 28, in 5 min it read SC.

If any portion of the temperature sensor circuit fails, the thermometer display will self-diagnose the circuit. An “SC” (short circuit) will appear on the display module in place of the temperature when the sensor is exposed to temperatures above 55°C (131°F), or if the sensor circuit is shorted. An “OC” (open circuit) will appear in place of the temperature when the sensor is exposed too temperatures below -40°C (-40°F), or if the sensor circuit is open.

Hope that helps.

Mine doesnt work at all and I replaced the headliner recently to find all the wires were cut off. So if someone has any idea where the wires should be heading to that would help me out alot. I dont even know if it is in there stock or if someone just added it on.

xjay907 said:
Mine doesnt work at all and I replaced the headliner recently to find all the wires were cut off. So if someone has any idea where the wires should be heading to that would help me out alot. I dont even know if it is in there stock or if someone just added it on.

The wiring for the overhead console runs across the front undereath the headlinger, down the piller, and connects in the passenger kick panel. I've just done this myself and intend to do a write up to make it easier for others. If you need any help pm me and I'll do what I can.

Back