• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Discs

Larry

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2001 XJ Classic and my front discs have begun to vibrate again, which I'm sure means they have warped again. The first time they were replaced by the dealer, but now I'm out of warranty and besides I'd rather find an aftermarket set of rotors that won't warp. Can someone tell me where and which ones I should get. Also which pads would work the best with them. TIA for your help. I really appreciate it.

ok this is just a thought, so someone PLEASE correct me if i'm wrong on this. from what i understand its just the newer rotors that warp like that. so u could use rotors off of an older XJ. the only catch is i believe u have to swap over to the same hub that the particular year u get the rotors from uses. as far as i know this should work, but wait to get the opinions of others on this b4 u do it. please dont flame me if i'm wrong guys...just trying to help :)

Brad

Check the other Forums,one has a thread on warped rotors.Has pics and part #s
Wayne

Larry said:
I have a 2001 XJ Classic and my front discs have begun to vibrate again, which I'm sure means they have warped again. The first time they were replaced by the dealer, but now I'm out of warranty and besides I'd rather find an aftermarket set of rotors that won't warp. Can someone tell me where and which ones I should get. Also which pads would work the best with them. TIA for your help. I really appreciate it.

What are you doing to your brakes? I have a 2001 TJ axles with 33's and it's stops great, well as good as it can with 33's. I believe we have the same axle, right.

BTW

This is an OEM Question mot Modified, even if your were looking for different kinds of Rotors or pads.

Chuck,

I'm not sure I understand your question. My brakes stop fine, or as you say, "as good as it can". That's not the problem. The problem is that after awhile they get warped, which, if I understand what I'm hearing on this forum, seems to be a design flaw in that Chrysler went from an all cast disk to a composite disk which seems to not be able to stand the heat over a period of time. I've just decided that I don't want to continue to face this problem, so I'd like to find an aftermarket disk that will perform better and not warp so easily.

I guess the TJ's are made differently, or I'll eventually find out about the warping issue. I don't know waht tire size your running, but I do know wit the 33's, I'm definitley putting way more stress and heat than with stock tires. This sounds like you have already had the dealer change out a set. How many miles did you have on the original rotors?

First time around they only made it to 13,000. Now, I'm a little over 38,500. I just don't feel like going through this every 15 or 20K miles, so I figured there must be something out there that would maybe give a little better performance and not have the warping problem.

I know the auto part stores (kragen, checker and the like)sell nice slotted rotor for somethin like $20 each. I have never used them but if they warp you can return them. I can also recommend there pads. Get the good ones with the lifetime warranty they are a better compound or something. I noticed a marked improvement as soon as I put them on.

Back