• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Greaseable or non-greaseable axle shaft u-joints?

Jeepguy03

NAXJA Forum User
2000 Cherokee sport 4.0/AW4/NP231 with a 2" lift and 130k miles.

Lately I've been getting an angry bird noise from the front end. It has happened a few times before (even when it was stock height), but seems to only happen when winter rolls around and the roads get salty and nasty. If I power wash the u-joints while at the car wash cleaning the undercarriage, the noise will go away for awhile.

This leads me to believe the front axle joints are going. Which joints should I buy? I know the correct size is the Spicer 760x. I see that these are non-greaseable joints. Would greaseable be better to push fresh grease into them occasionally with all the salt and grime we get on the winter roads? I haven't seen too many options for greaseable joints besides cheap no-name brands. This is a mostly street driven jeep, although it does see camping and dirt roads often.

I'd rather have a spicer non-greaseable than any other greaseable brand.

I've got about 60k miles on my spicer non-greaseable 806x in the front of my 2001 Dodge.

Still tight.

Thanks guys for the input so far! I don't wheel much, since there are no legal places to wheel in CT. This is a daily driven commuter vehicle to college, so my primary concern would be having the u-joints last a long time. I have the Dana 35 rear, and don't plan on going any larger than 30" tires and 2" of lift. I also plan on replacing the hub bearings while I have the front end apart with the Timken hubs from RockAuto.com.

I have Duralast Gold non-greaseable joints in my rear driveshaft and they seem fine, but those are also easier to replace.

How fast is the angry bird sound? It could also be the cardan joint on the front driveshaft. It will be a much faster chirp than the axle ujoints

Non greasable joints are stronger then greasable ones since they dont have hollow trunions for the grease. I only run Spicer 760's in D30 shafts, anything else is inferior and weak. While you have the shafts apart, its a great time to clearance the inside of the yokes for full circle clips instead of the stock half clips.

You don't need experience or input, just run them. It's an upgrade. You should use the full circle clips, which is really the strongest upgrade to an axle u-joint. But, if you have stock shafts you'll have to grind the inside of the yoke for clearance for the snap rings.

Or get a non-greasable Spicer joint. The non-greasable are stronger, and they have better seals.

Richard G

Thanks Richard. I'll probably go with the Alloy USA greaseable joints. I don't beat on my Jeep, and I think the greaseable ones might be better for all the nasty crap they spread on the roads here.

Thanks Richard. I'll probably go with the Alloy USA greaseable joints. I don't beat on my Jeep, and I think the greaseable ones might be better for all the nasty crap they spread on the roads here.
Just a fyi, The alloyusa greasables that came stock in my alloy shafts only lasted the first year, Ive had the spicer non greasables going on 3 yrs now same joints, and its daily driven , and a wheeled hard locked rig

Just a fyi, The alloyusa greasables that came stock in my alloy shafts only lasted the first year, Ive had the spicer non greasables going on 3 yrs now same joints, and its daily driven , and a wheeled hard locked rig

When you say they lasted a year do you mean before they broke or before the bearings made noise?

i agree with everyones advice, I used napa greasable joints the first time I rebuilt them and I broke them both times I took them off road...they snap like twigs with that big hole in the middle, so I only run the non serviceable type now

both breaks
hhh.jpg

nacfest.jpg

now i just have the non serviceable tacked up, on abs stubs since they have a little more meat on them..
tires012.jpg

Last edited:
there is no need for greasable ujoints in axle shafts, the origanals in my 95 lasted 180k and the ones in my 93 lasted 190k, both rigs lived there whole lives in new england too

Thanks guys for the advice! Just ordered the Spicer 760X joints and Timken hubs. :cheers:

ive got more questions on ujoints. are outter lock up better then the inner lock ups? im currently having an issue with my straps on the rear end staying tight and the snap ring staying in as well.

for the straps, replace them with new and use a little RTV on the bolt threads (less chance of them snapping with RTV as opposed to Loc-tite). The starps are designed to be replaced regularly ... like a u-bolt.

As for the u-joints ... only axle shaft joints use an internal clip due to clearance issues, driveshafts use the standard external spring clip. If they aren't staying in, time to replace them and clean out the grooves at the same time.

Back