• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Things seen on my run to Pagosa Springs and back.....

YELLAHEEP

NAXJA Forum User
Friggin' 700+ miles round trip today....... but very little of it was boring..... :D

-Dumbass on a crotch rocket passes me on the right easily doing 100+ on I-25 past Castle Pines, and seconds later, a CSP Charger in hot pursuit. A while later, I pass several Douglas CO cars and CSP cars all surrounding the bike laying against a dirt wall upside down where I assume the dipshit tried to leave I-25 to get on the frontage road near Larkspur by crossing the median..... He apparently was fine - saw a trooper had him in cuffs patting him down by his patrol car.

-Approaching Monument Hill, there was a long line of military vehicles. The last vehicle was one HUGE HEMMIT tow rig with all kinds of cool attachments, crane arms, things and stuff...... so I get in behind it and was looking things over when a Ford Explorer passes me honking the horn..... it was full of girls and as they began to pass the military procession..... the front passenger pops out of the window with no shirt on..... clearly showing her "appreciation(s)" for the military...... :D :thumbup: It appeared that she did this as they passed the entire line of rigs...... gotta love Spring weather!

-Car-beque on the side of the road about 20 miles north of the Walsenburg exit..... An older Suburban, flames from around the hood and the fenderwells. 6 or so guys frantically unpacking the back, traffic was slowing down (idiots - yeah, lets slow down as we pass a potential explosion.... :rolleyes:).... looked to have had Chihuahua plates on it. :gag:

-Driving up towards Wolf Creek pass I notice a whole bunch of snowmobiles tearing it up in the valley. I decide to pull off, stretch my legs and watch 'em for a bit. Looked like a real hoot! Then I look up the side of the mountain across from me and way up on some bare, steep face were 2 sleds hauling ass way up! When the sled started to bog down at the steepest point, they'd spin the ass-end around, send up a huge rooster tail of snow and then haul-ass down! Insane.......

-Had to use 4-low in the Dodge for the first time ever.... The guy that had the postal XJ I was picking up had a fairly steep, dry dirt driveway/road up to his house. The incline coupled with the weight of the trailer had the tires spinning in both 2wd and 4-hi..... :looney: Put it back in 4-low to keep it slow on the way down so that the postal XJ/trailer didn't pass the truck...... :laugh:

-While getting fuel in Alamosa, had a guy on the other side of the pumps notice the RHD in the XJ and commented about it...... his cute little blond girlfriend - God bless her - says "What? I don't see what's different...... our car's is on that side too" Yeah..... when you're looking at the front of the XJ and the back of your car I suppose they are....... :laugh3:

Did I mention that Pagosa Springs is a friggin' long way away? :D

That's like a trip to Ouray and back. At least things weren't too dull.

-Had to use 4-low in the Dodge for the first time ever.... The guy that had the postal XJ I was picking up had a fairly steep, dry dirt driveway/road up to his house. The incline coupled with the weight of the trailer had the tires spinning in both 2wd and 4-hi..... :looney: Put it back in 4-low to keep it slow on the way down so that the postal XJ/trailer didn't pass the truck...... :laugh:

Did I mention that Pagosa Springs is a friggin' long way away? :D

You should try it during the winter. :D And yes I'm a long ways down here. Another 19 miles south and you'd be in New Mexico.

That's like a trip to Ouray and back. At least things weren't too dull.

That's no lie. When I Mapquest'd the trip, it said 235 miles each way.... so it didn't seem that bad initially, but I had set the trip odometer on the truck when I left..... forgot to look at the final miles, but when I hit Denver it was over 700..... Dunno where M.Q. got it's calculations from.....:dunno:

You should try it during the winter. :D And yes I'm a long ways down here. Another 19 miles south and you'd be in New Mexico.

Brutha, I can't even imagine. Seems like a nice place to live during good weather - but yeah, the snow would add extreme adventure just to get into town for you folks.... No thanks. :D Although, one of your neighbors near the entrance off hwy 84 has a nice lifted 70's FSJ Cherokee 2dr at the base of his driveway for his winter excursions..... :thumbup:

That's no lie. When I Mapquest'd the trip, it said 235 miles each way.... so it didn't seem that bad initially, but I had set the trip odometer on the truck when I left..... forgot to look at the final miles, but when I hit Denver it was over 700..... Dunno where M.Q. got it's calculations from.....:dunno:

Brutha, I can't even imagine. Seems like a nice place to live during good weather - but yeah, the snow would add extreme adventure just to get into town for you folks.... No thanks. :D Although, one of your neighbors near the entrance off hwy 84 has a nice lifted 70's FSJ Cherokee 2dr at the base of his driveway for his winter excursions..... :thumbup:

235? That's MQ for ya. I know it's about 260 from my house to my aunts in CO Springs.

Wintertime is fun around here. :rof:Especially when we get a heavy snow and the drive into town takes 30 minutes. :shocked:
Yeah I've been eyeing that FSJ for a while now. It's been many years since the guy did anything on that property, poor Jeep is rusting away.

-Approaching Monument Hill, there was a long line of military vehicles. The last vehicle was one HUGE HEMMIT tow rig with all kinds of cool attachments, crane arms, things and stuff...... so I get in behind it and was looking things over when a Ford Explorer passes me honking the horn..... it was full of girls and as they began to pass the military procession..... the front passenger pops out of the window with no shirt on..... clearly showing her "appreciation(s)" for the military...... :D :thumbup: It appeared that she did this as they passed the entire line of rigs...... gotta love Spring weather!

Apparently your cell phone camera quick-draw skills suck -
as we are left to using our imaginations...
fing27.gif

Yeah, yeah, I know - pics or it didn't happen...... But have you ever tried taking pics using a 1.3 megapixel cell phone camera, through the windshield while driving a 1-ton truck pulling a bouncy unloaded trailer at highway speeds?

If I had tried pics, I coulda posted the blurry attempted shot, but you all would still call B.S. :D

I'm calling B.S on you even going to Pagosa Springs, I think this was an attempt at some sort of "Captains Log" that you'll include in your memoirs some day.

LOL...or attempted BS.

I'm calling B.S on you even going to Pagosa Springs, I think this was an attempt at some sort of "Captains Log" that you'll include in your memoirs some day.

LOL at the both of ya...... :roflmao:

You're gonna hafta include Brian (Mexi-Can't) in on the shenanigans as well then, because he's got a few Benjamin's now that used to be mine and I've got a wrong-side driver XJ that used to be his....... :moon:

Should have stoped in at the Hot Springs Resort and soaked in some healing water. Try the lobster pot once, then the river!

I was waiting for someplace on the list to go something like this. Saw DJ broke down on the side of the road.

Yeah, yeah, I know - pics or it didn't happen...... But have you ever tried taking pics using a 1.3 megapixel cell phone camera, through the windshield while driving a 1-ton truck pulling a bouncy unloaded trailer at highway speeds?

If I had tried pics, I coulda posted the blurry attempted shot, but you all would still call B.S. :D

683_large_CHDMH-001-01-683x426.jpg

'Nuff said.

Well DUH! That's because I was on a road trip to places I'd not seen before and I took my Olympus C-8080 with me..... those pics were not taken with a crappy cell phone..... and you'll notice the sand storm pics were taken at a red light, not highway speeds. The rest were on foot or stopped....... :twak:

But hey, thanks for remembering my Arizona thread....... :D

Last edited:
Back