• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WTB: Stock(ish) 8.25

XJ-Mayhem

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I've been checking CL and FB Marketplace nearly daily, missed out on a good deal for one going for $100 because I couldn't get there in time, haven't found another one since.

Just figured I would put the word out and see if anyone happens to have one they'd like to let go or has a lead on one.

Looking for stock or relatively stock, trying to keep this build low $ and build it up over time.

I'm located in San Jose but willing to travel.

I have one, unknown ratio and spline count, brakes look ok but it is sitting out in the rain, I’d like $60.

Grabbed the one from Phil yesterday, and as we expected only 27 spline

I'd really like to start with a 29 spline so I can build it up slowly over time, so I'm still looking.

Or, if anyone has parts to start building the current one into a 29 spline I'd consider that.

No sweat! For the price it was worth it to check.

If it’s just a case of axle shafts and a lunchbox, that’s not that bad. But my understanding is the 27 spline carrier needs to be honed for the 29s to fit.
If I pull the carrier to have it honed, it seems silly to pay someone to setup the stock gears again so at that point I’m regearing.

That’s all in the long term plan, but ideally I’d like to spread the budget out and just be able to drop a lunchbox into a 29 spline, run that for a while, then regear and run it, and then eventually shafts.

I believe you are right. The carriers for the 27/29 are different and would need machine work to accept the larger 29 spline shafts.

I decided to do the same thing on my 99. I have a factory LSD so I decided to find another 29 spline axle with stock gears and a locker to throw under it. I'll run that until I get around to throwing my Locked and geared d44 under the rig.

My old 29 spline will make its way to my brother's 95, and when I drop the d44 in, he will get the locked axle as well.

Are you going with a full case locker or lunchbox?

If you're doing full-case and have the stock 29 spline carrier you'd get rid of, I may be interested

The 29 spline already has a lunchbox installed. I bought it specifically because it came with the locker and Diff Cover.

Had a decent deal on one lined up but the guy flaked and told me he got a better offer last minute.

I'm considering building up the housing I got from Phil... just a bummer because it means dropping ~$1,700 at once

If anyone has a full case 29 spline locker I could be interested in that, it would probably help swallow the buildup price

Yikes, I feel like you can find something already built for that kind of money. What gear ration are you planning to go with?

No, I can see that as a realistic lump-sum but (and I am not looking very closely) I don’t see many built axles available for sale, forget about “for less”.

+/- $400 for brand new axle shafts
$800 for a Detroit
$300? For gears and install kit
Can you still get gears put in for $150-$200 at someone’s house?

But, do you really do all that and leave it at 3.55, or you do at least $500 to regear the front to match?

ive seen countless built 8.25 with gears , locker, shafts sell for 400$-600$ , just have to be patient.

Otherwise, if youre going to regear, buy a locker, etc, just buy a 8.8 instead, regear and lock that instead. ive seen a ton of broken 8.25s on the trail, but not any 8.8s. The 8.8 is very strong.

ive seen countless built 8.25 with gears , locker, shafts sell for 400$-600$ , just have to be patient.

Otherwise, if youre going to regear, buy a locker, etc, just buy a 8.8 instead, regear and lock that instead. ive seen a ton of broken 8.25s on the trail, but not any 8.8s. The 8.8 is very strong.

If you’re going to regear, buy a locker, etc. just buy a 14 bolt/Sterling/Ford9” instead, regear and lock that. 35 spline axle shafts are very strong.

lol.

If you’re going to regear, buy a locker, etc. just buy a 14 bolt/Sterling/Ford9” instead, regear and lock that. 35 spline axle shafts are very strong.

lol.

Gotta throw one of these in there :laugh3: or someone will think you are seriously advocating a full float 8-lug axle with a 10.5” ring gear and huge casting for 33” tires :eeks1:

Dont need tons , dont need the extra weight, mismatched lug pattern, the 8.8 is basically bolt in just weld perches and shock tabs basically done. Same lug pattern, more beef than most xj guys need.

Dont bother going tons , its a waste of time. 8.8 and a 30 are great for 33s-35s.

Gotta throw one of these in there :laugh3: or someone will think you are seriously advocating a full float 8-lug axle with a 10.5” ring gear and huge casting for 33” tires :eeks1:

I have met people who wheel 31s on tons.

Back