• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help oring filter adapter , still leaks after instaling new orings?

mramr1974

NAXJA Forum User
well i need some advice. I have just put new orings on the adapter for the oil filter twice today and it still leaks. the second time i took it back off
i made sure it lined up good and even used some orange rtv but it still leaks so im baffeled if anyone has done this recently or has any bright ideas please let me know thank 91 xj 4.0 h0.

mramr1974 said:
well i need some advice. I have just put new orings on the adapter for the oil filter twice today and it still leaks. the second time i took it back off
i made sure it lined up good and even used some orange rtv but it still leaks so im baffeled if anyone has done this recently or has any bright ideas please let me know thank 91 xj 4.0 h0.
Sounds to me like you have the wrong filter. If you look on the firewall on the passenger side of the truck, there may be a sticker regarding the upgrade of the oil filter threads. I have a 91 Cherokee and I have this in mine. Wrong threads even though it may screw down can easily cause the leaking. I'll give you a pic of the sticker I am referring of :
OilFilterThread.jpg

I don't think he's talking about the filter leaking but the adapter that bolts up to the block where the filter screws on to. The above diagram only details the oil filter onto that adapter.

Check that the complete old O-ring is out of the groove on both surfaces of the adapter. A small piece of the old ring still in there will keep it from sealing tightly.

I just changed the o-rings in my '91. All I can tell you is make sure you have the correct ones (a Jeep dealer gave me the wrong ones) and make sure the bolt is tightened down well.

I just repaired my Leaking 01.
Make sure you soak the new "O" rings in fresh motor oil for a little while before installation. The ones on the E-Bolt (The large torx head bolt) need to spin during installation. And tighten it down good, But do not use a 3ft piece of pipe to tighten it down, You do not want to crush the big "O" ring.

I wonder if the large "O" ring is necessary? Would some RTV work in place of it? What do you guys think?

I once read a post here that a guy did the same thing replaced the O-ring a couple times and still was leaking. In his case the oil pump was bad and was blowing out the new o ring. Hopefully in your case you just got the wrong O-ring. But just in case

thanks for the info im sure there the right o rings I checked them aginst the originals, i throughly cleaned out the original oings until the adapter sparckeld before i put in the new ones. i did pre oil them . i didnt letem soak though. but i do have that sticker , the filter i have on is what the book calls for, does that mean that sticker makes whats in the book incorrect ?the filter that on it is also the same one that was on it before i changed out the adapter . I guess it could be that simple but how could i tell if the filter is wrong? Im a nubie if you couldnt tell:peace:

well its not the filter i called the parts store the number on the sticker is the filter i got. i have to just take it apart again:eek:

Is it leaking from the filter gasket?
where the large "O" ring mates the 2 surfaces?
Or from where the big torx head bolt mates to the adapter?

If it is leaking from the filter gasket it is probably the wrong filter.
Leaking from the other locations & it is probably a damaged or misaligned "O" ring.

Leaving the old gasket on the adapter when you remove the old filter will also cause leaking. That's not uncommon, and should definitely be something to look at.

Out of curiosity, just what filter do you have on there? Parts houses aren't exactly sources of reliable information. You've got the horizontal filter, right? That can also trade that out for a larger filter (another 1/2-quart of oil capacity, and additional filter surface area) - http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/filter.html

So where's the leak coming from?

Jim www.yuccaman.com

When I replaced my o-rings my engine dripped oil for another two weeks since the engine was extremely saturated with oil. Also how do you know its coming from the oil adapter? Could it be for rear main seal or valve cover leaking?

the leak looks like its coming where the filter adapter conects to the block .i couldnot see anywhere where the filter itself was leaking .im just about ready to go out and retest in a bit i think possibly i didnt have the pin in the block lined up in the right hole on the adapter theres two holes there 1 goes no where other goes up to filter i may have had in the hole that go to the filter i preaty sure thats the wrong one the pin just keeps it from moving when you tighten it.

garr said:
I just repaired my Leaking 01.
Make sure you soak the new "O" rings in fresh motor oil for a little while before installation. The ones on the E-Bolt (The large torx head bolt) need to spin during installation. And tighten it down good, But do not use a 3ft piece of pipe to tighten it down, You do not want to crush the big "O" ring.

I wonder if the large "O" ring is necessary? Would some RTV work in place of it? What do you guys think?

:huh: Soaking the O-rings in oil sounds like a horrible idea, since that's what makes the adapter leak - years of hot oil against them eventually breaks down the rubber.
<br>
OP: If you're using the correct size O-ring and tightening it down correctly, it shouldn't leak. Be sure and clean the mating surfaces while you have it apart, and I'd just go ahead and put a nice bead of high temp RTV around all the O-rings. I've taken mine apart before and couldn't find one size of the O-ring, so I just RTV'd the whole thing really good and drove it like that for about two months before I got time to fix it again, it never leaked during the time.

xj2win said:
:huh: Soaking the O-rings in oil sounds like a horrible idea, since that's what makes the adapter leak - years of hot oil against them eventually breaks down the rubber.
<br>
OP: If you're using the correct size O-ring and tightening it down correctly, it shouldn't leak. Be sure and clean the mating surfaces while you have it apart, and I'd just go ahead and put a nice bead of high temp RTV around all the O-rings. I've taken mine apart before and couldn't find one size of the O-ring, so I just RTV'd the whole thing really good and drove it like that for about two months before I got time to fix it again, it never leaked during the time.

The 2 "O" rings mounted on the big torx bolt need to spin easily during installation, The oil makes it smoother.

well i got it but also the oil preasure sending unit is leaking not where it attaches to the block its further back on the connector i guess buy a new one. thanks 4 the help

"further back on the connector" ??

Do you mean it's leaking where the oil filter attaches? Because those are the only two places it should leak, unless there's a crack in the actual adapter or it's coming through the adapter bolt. If it's leaking from the filter end, I seriously recommend pulling the filter and making sure you don't have two gaskets stuck there.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Back