NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old August 20th, 2019, 09:07
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Front end noise when going slow and turning

The other day i put a breaker bar on 3 of the bolts for the frame mount i could get to and tightened them up abit, praying for a difference but nope! Ive been thinking about a double shear track bar but i dont want to spend 200$ and not fix the issue. Its nuts! I will definitely check out that bolt evab99xj, going to pull it off here today and check the mount hole, it didnt appear oblong or anything but ill check the diameter of that bushing out!
Old August 20th, 2019, 20:03
NAXJA Forum User

Both looked fine, tightened up the tre of the bar a few notches but still did it today coming home. Anyone think it could be a ball joint? It drives fine 90% of the time, most turns i dont hear anything but im not sure the symptoms of a ball joint, most of what i can find on youtube sounds really bad like not even drivable.
Old August 20th, 2019, 21:19
NAXJA Member

Front end noise when going slow and turning

One other thought - early on in my ownership of my XJ there was a popping in the front end when Id cut the wheel from side to side - turned out to be bad wheel bearings.
Old August 20th, 2019, 21:22
NAXJA Forum User

The wheel bearings are a lottle over 1 year old, last time i had it apart i swapped sides and it made no changes. Next im going to pull a upper control arm and check those axle bushings.
Old August 21st, 2019, 06:24
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicon1785 View Post
.......... Next im going to pull a upper control arm and check those axle bushings.
That's one of the only things I haven't changed on my XJ. Replace both Upper/Lower Control arms but didn't replace the Upper bushings over the axle/pumpkin. They looked good but that doesn't mean anything sometimes...
Old October 7th, 2019, 12:23
NAXJA Forum User

Update: My noise was/is coming from the steering dampener where it mounts to the passenger side. The bolt was a bit loose but I think my dampener has worn out. It popped and moved a bit when the steering components moved. Had my XJ up on blocks doing a tire rotation and brake bleed... had my son get in and rotate the steering while laying on the ground. Found it pretty quick... thank goodness.

Something else to check and knock off the list.