NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Chapters > SoCal Chapter
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

SoCal Chapter The SoCal Chapter covers Southern California and Arizona. Please post local topics here.

Old May 22nd, 2013, 12:30
NAXJA Forum User

ARB Awnign

Does anyone have any experience with these ARB awnings? Seems like a great way to make some quick shade while making lunch or whatever wheeling. Plus I don't have to lug around an ez up. But also looks like it could quickly turn into a pain in the arse just as fast.
Old May 22nd, 2013, 12:33
NAXJA Warranty Voider

Re: ARB Awnign

It looks like kind of a pain in the ass to setup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LqmL5lhf0A
Old May 22nd, 2013, 12:36
NAXJA Forum User

Do a search over at http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/index.php
Old May 22nd, 2013, 12:52
NAXJA Forum User

I meet a guy a few months ago that made his own awning that was pretty genius. He got a 3" PVC pipe the length of his roof rack, put caps on it and drilled holes on each end, then slid a 1-2" PVC pipe inside of it that had a tarp attached to it. The 3" pipe on the outside had a slit cut into one side where the tarp would come out. It was kinda neat and coated with bed liner, it looked good. Not sure what he used for post though... PVC?
Old May 22nd, 2013, 14:36
NAXJA Forum User

Try this... If you are resourceful enough you can build one yourself...

Read it anyway, even if you don't. It's got to be one of the funniest things I've ever read. Oh, and click on his drawings they are very ummm... Informational?

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...-less-than-100

Last edited by Original_MudButt; May 22nd, 2013 at 14:46.
Old May 22nd, 2013, 14:49
ouch.

just don't herculine your hootus.
Old May 22nd, 2013, 18:46
NAXJA Forum User

I had a camping lab awning that is about 99% the same as the ARB. it was about $200.00 and worth every penny...Both are made in the same factory in china out of some pretty high quality materials.

Very robust, very easy to setup with one person, and like you said, it creates instant shade or a damn good rain cover, right next to your rig.

Definitely not a replacement for a quality easy up that can be placed anywhere, but for something that is tucked out of the way, weighs like 15lbs, can be converted into a bug-proof room by zipping on a few panels...it really can't be beat.

I'm going to get a stubby one for the back of my rig that will serve as a sun/rain cover when I'm tailgating or grilling/cooking out of the back of my rig...

Fernando at Camping Lab is good people, but then again ARB is quality too. Can't go wrong with either one.

BTW, the 79" one is about right for an XJ, with about a foot sticking past the windshield if you make it even with the rear hatch.

I just mounted mine with some homemade brackets on a set of thule bars. Easy-peasy...
Old May 23rd, 2013, 11:49
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoOverland View Post
I had a camping lab awning that is about 99% the same as the ARB. it was about $200.00 and worth every penny...Both are made in the same factory in china out of some pretty high quality materials.

Very robust, very easy to setup with one person, and like you said, it creates instant shade or a damn good rain cover, right next to your rig.

Definitely not a replacement for a quality easy up that can be placed anywhere, but for something that is tucked out of the way, weighs like 15lbs, can be converted into a bug-proof room by zipping on a few panels...it really can't be beat.

I'm going to get a stubby one for the back of my rig that will serve as a sun/rain cover when I'm tailgating or grilling/cooking out of the back of my rig...

Fernando at Camping Lab is good people, but then again ARB is quality too. Can't go wrong with either one.

BTW, the 79" one is about right for an XJ, with about a foot sticking past the windshield if you make it even with the rear hatch.

I just mounted mine with some homemade brackets on a set of thule bars. Easy-peasy...

Cool thanks for the input! My theory is that Ill spend about 150 bucks on an ez up but then i have to make room for it in the heep. With the awning its utilizing space that is really never used. How sturdy is it in the wind though?
Old May 23rd, 2013, 12:23
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original_MudButt View Post
Try this... If you are resourceful enough you can build one yourself...

Read it anyway, even if you don't. It's got to be one of the funniest things I've ever read. Oh, and click on his drawings they are very ummm... Informational?

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...-less-than-100

hahaha no kidding! So im finally going to join ExPo. and they are asking me for a referrer. Ill put you down if you have an account.
Old May 23rd, 2013, 12:31
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase2 View Post
Cool thanks for the input! My theory is that Ill spend about 150 bucks on an ez up but then i have to make room for it in the heep. With the awning its utilizing space that is really never used. How sturdy is it in the wind though?
Very, very sturdy if you use the two tie down guys/ropes they supply...i've had it in gusts up to about 15-20 mph un-guyed and it was still rock solid. If its not guyed and a big gust catches under it, it of course is going to act like a big sail, but anything other than that its good-to-go.
Old May 23rd, 2013, 12:39
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase2 View Post
Ill put you down if you have an account.
Okay with me... Over there it's just Mudbutt.