NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old October 24th, 2010, 01:28
NAXJA Forum User

Trying to remove the cross shaft in my 8.25 to pull a shaft but it hits the ring gear

Sorry for the second thread but the other one was filled with removing the cross pin retaining bolt. Got that accomplished but now I have a whole new problem.

Chrysler 8.25, LSD w/ 4.56 gears. Removed the cross shaft retaining pin. Gently tried pounding out the cross shaft however I could only get it 3/4 of an inch out until the edge of it hit the ring gear.

What in the world do I do now??? All this to find out if I have a 29 spline shaft or not.

Here's a pic:

I do not need this axle. It's bent badly, and I will be replacing it. The only thing I will be keeping are the gears and the LSD to have a shop swap into a new axle. But I need to get one with matching spine shafts or the LSD wont work.

Could I cheat and sawzall one of the tubes in half? Do the splines run all the way down the shaft or just at the end that goes into the housing?

Last edited by 90Pioneer; October 24th, 2010 at 01:33.
Old October 24th, 2010, 04:22
Headbanging Hillbilly

Re: Trying to remove the cross shaft in my 8.25 to pull a shaft but it hits the ring

You are going to have to grind the gear tooth to get it out. If you take your time and remove only what is needed to get the pin out you will be fine.
People crushed by law, have no hopes but from power. If laws are their enemies, they will be enemies to laws; and those who have much to hope and nothing to lose, will always be dangerous. Edmund Burke
Old October 24th, 2010, 05:41
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Trying to remove the cross shaft in my 8.25 to pull a shaft but it hits the ring

Turn the pin as you pull it out. There should be flats ground in it to get it past the ring gear. Or try going the other direction and see if that helps.
Old October 24th, 2010, 05:49
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsjunk View Post
Turn the pin as you pull it out. There should be flats ground in it to get it past the ring gear. Or try going the other direction and see if that helps.
Its been established in his other thread that his pin has no flat/ground spots.
Old October 24th, 2010, 06:07
NAXJA Forum User

How did the pin get in there then, magic? If there was a link to the other thread it would've been known if the shaft was ground or not.

Grind the ring gear a fuzz then.
Old October 24th, 2010, 06:11
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
How did the pin get in there then, magic? If there was a link to the other thread it would've been known if the shaft was ground or not.

Grind the ring gear a fuzz then.
Link to the other thread is 3 down from this one in Mod Tech
Old October 24th, 2010, 06:13
NAXJA Forum User

Quick question Pioneer, what year heep did that axle come out of?
Old October 24th, 2010, 07:48
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
How did the pin get in there then, magic?
x2,chech the other side of the carrier to see if they ground the teeth down on that side.
Old October 24th, 2010, 10:19
NAXJA Forum Addict

Why don't you just remove the ring dear from the carrier?
Old October 24th, 2010, 10:33
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco01xj View Post
Why don't you just remove the ring dear from the carrier?
Think about that one for a second.... the ring gear has nowhere to go. It can't go left past the carrier, and the pinion gear is preventing it from going to the right.

The cross shaft went in somehow, it'll have to come back out the same way.

"Jeeps are Cherokees. All other models are wannabes." Deb. K.
Old October 24th, 2010, 11:03
NAXJA Forum User

Looking at the spider gear picture on his LSD thread, it looks like there is a flat spot at the center of the cross pin, not the ends (Post 14). What about rotating the crosspin so that the flat is facing an axle shaft, then push the shaft in, dropping the C-clip. Then do the same for the other side. I'll bet the cross pin was installed before the ring gear was put on.
Old October 24th, 2010, 11:46
NAXJA Member

Location: Central MA - keep going till the road turns to dirt, then listen for banjos

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdavid123 View Post
Looking at the spider gear picture on his LSD thread, it looks like there is a flat spot at the center of the cross pin, not the ends (Post 14). What about rotating the crosspin so that the flat is facing an axle shaft, then push the shaft in, dropping the C-clip. Then do the same for the other side. I'll bet the cross pin was installed before the ring gear was put on.
SOMEONE is thinking here!

That did not occur to me when I made my suggestions at ~3AM last night.

Give that a try, I bet it works.
CTeunuch: Sometimes I really wonder if this sport makes you insane, or it just attracts the mentally unstable.
Old October 24th, 2010, 14:43
NAXJA Forum Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiXJeff View Post
Think about that one for a second.... the ring gear has nowhere to go. It can't go left past the carrier, and the pinion gear is preventing it from going to the right.

The cross shaft went in somehow, it'll have to come back out the same way.
so... take apart the axle.

and yeah... it did get in there somehow. i bet it got installed before the ring gear was put on. so... take it out the same way.
Old October 24th, 2010, 14:44
Water is dirty

Quote:
so... take apart the axle.
derp
Old October 24th, 2010, 17:04
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdavid123 View Post
I'll bet the cross pin was installed before the ring gear was put on.
Quote:
i bet it got installed before the ring gear was put on. so... take it out the same way.
The carrier and ring gear have to be installed in the pumpkin BEFORE installing the axle shafts, c-clips, and cross shaft. There is NO way you can install the cross shaft before the ring gear.

Last edited by johnnyc; October 24th, 2010 at 17:08.