• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering gear box

1096xj

NAXJA Forum User
I am in the process of installing a reman. steering gear and pump on my 90XJ. The parts came from NAPA. My question is on the steering gear. The new gear box seems to have a hard rubber like collar or grommet on the pittman shaft. The old one does not have this ( it could have rotted off or been disolved by the river of power steering fluid flowing by it. I don't know if it stays on or if it is on for shipping purposes to hold shaft in place till it is installed. Any help on this would be great.

i had the same thing on my box when i put it in. i just left it there i thought "hey keeps dirt alot a little better" i had it there for 2 months now and no problems yet. i would leave it there.

Helps stop the worn junk yard box from leaking down the shaft! Careful buying those things; Napa just took someone's core, put that rubber collar on it, and dropped it in a box.

Thanks. I debated over this for some time. I really did not have 400 to 600 for a new one. Now my wifes dd laid down. 97 Mountaineer leaking fluid from front of tranny. I have even less money and no time so I went with NAPA's reman. Hope it at least lasts a year or two.

The NAPA reman is a CARDONE not a bad reman.. I have one to isntall this weeeknd... Does not look bad at all but does not have the collar

wilcharl I originally posted this in the wrong area. My post in the jeep pictures forum has a pic attached. I have not figured out how to post pictures here.

Back