• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 Steering Options - Tech Information

Kittrell

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Alright, there are alot of different options as far as steering goes for our Dana 30 Front Axles. There is a ton of info spread across NAXJA in alot of threads. So I am going to try to bring it all together, as the question concerning steering comes up often. There are basically three categories concerning Complete Bolt on Steering Systems for Cherokees: Crossover using TRE's, Crossover using Heims, and Stock HD Replacement. I will list the options I have found in this order.

Crossover With TRE's
-----Arguably the Best Option for a Daily Driver that is wheeled regularily

Toys By Troy - True Crossover Steering
Uses a High Steer knuckle, combined with his Alumi-Flex Tie Rod and Drag Link. This kit retails for $950, $750 after a Core Return of your stock knuckles.

Offroad Only - U-Turn
Uses a set of brackets that bolt to the backside of your stock knuckles. Matching Tie Rod and Drag Links are constructed from 4130 Chromoly, finished in Hammerite paint. This kit retails for $649.

Sam's Offroad - Sam's Offroad HD Tie Rod and Drag Link Sytem
Utilizes a Tera Flex High Steer Knuckle, combined with a Rubicon Express Chomoly HD Tie Rod and Drag Link. This kit retails for $485.

Crossover With Heims
-----More Offroad Oriented

Phat Jeeps - Canyon Climber
Has the same basic mounting sytem as the Offroad Only set up with brackets that bolt to the backside of your stock knuckles. The main difference is the use of Heims in place of TRE's. In addition this mounting system seems to be stronger, and better designed. This Kit retails for $550.

Bullet Proof - Bullet Proof Steering
Uses a bolt that mounts through the knuckle to hold the Tie Rod on the bottom and the Drag Link over the top. Kit also has many upgrade options, such as Over the Knuckle, "Race Proof," and "Rock Proof Tubing." Basic Kit retails for $329.

Stock H.D. Replacement
-----Ideal for the Daily Driver with tired steering that sees the occasional weekend wheeling trip

Currie Enterprises - Currie H.D. Steering
Stock Type H.D. replacement constructed from 1.25" Diamater Chromoly Tube. This Kit retails for $399.

Posion Spider Customs - PSC H.D. Steering
Stock Type H.D. replacement. Comes with New H.D. Tie Rod constructed from 1.5" DOM Tube. Uses Stock Drag link with a H.D. Sleeve and weld on gusset. This Kit retails for $259.

These are all of the options for a Complete Bolt On Steering Kit for the XJ Dana 30. Some of these kits require modification to the Trac Bar and/or Sway Bar Axle Brackets. All of the kits in themselves are essentially bolt on, but keep in mind, that with everything, some modification might be required.

If you see anything that needs to be corrected or know of a system that I have forgotten, please pm me. Thanks
DJ K.

Ya know on my DD and heavily used trail rig I use ZJ V8 stokc steering setup and never bent a part even with the 33's total cost 49.00

nice writeup took ya awhile I bet huh

this is a stock steering replacement thread?

how bout custom fab steerings for people say - swaping in a hpD44?

cool - interesting

here is some more info on the currie system...

91 Jeep Project said:
update..... will be adding Rock Krawler, Both Rusty's Kits, Tera Flex kit. Working on pictures of all the kits. Still need pics of the cheaper rustys kit, tera flex kit, and the rock krawler. Let me know if you have any of these......... :pig:

I could probably get you pics of the Tera kit, it'd be on a TJ though.

I've got pics of the U-Turn kit on my XJ that you can use.

Don't forget the WJ knuckle conversion. You can get high steer if you redrill the tapers. The bigger disc are also cool. I have 4" lift so I'm using the stock WJ tie-rods in the stock location, but the angles are still much better than the y-link.
Angus

Is anyone plan on updating this post? or was it abandoned? Looks good for sources of set-ups....

Hey, thanks 91'......thanks for putting all the work into it as well!

Does anyone have any info on the WJ knuckle and steering conversion...in terms of cost and difficultly? I am getting married soon and $$$ and time are tight

it's a ton of work and money, I'm in the process of doing it and since i have run into more problems than I thought I have ended spending more than $300 in little stuff that has added up, new seals, bearing, races, I will have a write up as well as price list up within the next week, but this is what I'm at so far:

keep in mind I'm doing this conversion with the 5 on 5.5 hub conversion so some stuff will be different
WJ Knuckles/Brakes:
WJ Knuckles: $50x2
WJ Calipers: $25x2 (Teves:eek:ld style)
WJ Brake Pads MX942: $50
Disc Brake Hardware Kit HDW5649: $6x2
Flange Spacer: $25x2(Didn't work for my app)for sale if anyone wants them
Flange Spacer round 2: $30x2
CJ Rotors:
Wearever YH141257: $40x2
Tie Rod Flip Inserts:
GoFerItOffroad $18x3
WJ Tie Rod Ends
Drag Link: Pitman Arm(MOOG): $31
Drag Link: Passenger Side: $31
Tie Rod: Drivers Side: $31
Tie Rod: Passenger Side: $31
Jam Nuts OGS957: $16x2
Tie Rod/Drag Link:
Tie Rod OGS95: $75 from Kevins
Drag Link OGS956: $55 from Kevins
Steering Stabilizer:
Skyjacker SS: Came with my Lift
JKS SSM OGS921: $10 Paid $2(just got a 5/8" bolt)
Steering Stabilizer Bracket: $14(custom made)
Rancho Shock Bushing (5/8”) RS978 $6
Track Bar:
Skyjacker ATB: Came with my lift
JKS OAB OGS920: $41 from Kevins
Energy Trackbar Bushing $8
Custom made bushing housing: $10
Frame Side JJ 2.0”: $55
RE Trackbar Bracket:$80
RE Trackbar bracket stiffener:$75
Misc Stuff:
Welding: $45
New bearings and races: $40
Wheel Studs BK6413103: $2x10

Now I could have done other TREs, rotors, pads that were cheaper, but I'd rather do it right the first time, you could also do TREs that aren't for a WJ so that you can get the draglink and tierod cheaper, if anyone has any questions or comments you can PM me or I'll give you my # and you can call me, Jamie

spaz-j said:
Does anyone have any info on the WJ knuckle and steering conversion...in terms of cost and difficultly? I am getting married soon and $$$ and time are tight

Back