• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installing Roof Rack

SPSERG

NAXJA Forum User
I am installing a custom roof rack soon, after I install a set of factory runners to mount it with. The rack uses Kargo-Master mounts for factory runners. When I had my headliner out for replacing I noticed that there are only 2 ribs that run side to side for support. Without looking at one yet, do the factory runners attach just to the ribs or all along the roofline? Its just single sided sheet metal (the roof) and it seems like it may me a bit weak for supporting weight of any kind.

SPSERG said:
I am installing a custom roof rack soon, after I install a set of factory runners to mount it with. The rack uses Kargo-Master mounts for factory runners. When I had my headliner out for replacing I noticed that there are only 2 ribs that run side to side for support. Without looking at one yet, do the factory runners attach just to the ribs or all along the roofline? Its just single sided sheet metal (the roof) and it seems like it may me a bit weak for supporting weight of any kind.

Not sure what you mean by factory runners, but I have the Kargomaster brackets on my safari rack. They fit right into the grooves of the factory roof rack rails on an XJ. I also left the original factory roof rack cross bars on the outside of each side of the safari rack. I then zip-tied the safari rack to the factory cross bars w/250 lb. zip ties (two in front, two in back). It's a rock solid setup. I got the zip ties at www.cableties.com. LOL.

I am going to install just the runners, or rails as they are called. The rack mounts directly to them, minus the cross bars. My concern is installing that factory rack. The roof is just single ply sheet metal with two internal ribs. I know that the rails use a form of well-nut along there length. Just concerned about the strength of the rails themselves and their mount to the roof

SPSERG said:
I am going to install just the runners, or rails as they are called. The rack mounts directly to them, minus the cross bars. My concern is installing that factory rack. The roof is just single ply sheet metal with two internal ribs. I know that the rails use a form of well-nut along there length. Just concerned about the strength of the rails themselves and their mount to the roof

The well nuts are spaced about a foot apart, for the full length of the rail. However, you are correct -- it's not as strong as a gutter mount. The factory rack is rated to carry 250 pounds, and a good Safari rack uses up a big chunk of that before you even get to put anything in it.

Where can you get just the gutter mounts? I to have a roof rack that was custom built but need to find some gutter mounts to mount it. Any help would be appreciated
Thanx Digger

The rack I bought uses Kargo Master mounts. I did a quick search and found they also make gutter mounts. I still have some investigation to do.

Back