• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission Issue

egiznad

NAXJA Forum User
96 XJ 108K miles automatic transmission. 4x4

Having some issues with the transmission not engaging after a stop and I have to rev the engine for it to slowly catch. This problem also happens when I slow down significantly such as when I enter an intersection to make a left turn.

Started Monday on the way home from work. I checked the fluid and it was "burnt" so I dropped the pan and filter. No residue or shavings in the pan. Tuesday night after work (2.5 hours round trip driving) I drained and refilled the pan and Weds night I did the same. Each time I have done something the car drives well for the first half hour or so before it acts up.
What is my next step now that my fluid is mostly new? Is there anything I can do or test? Or is it toast?
thanks

That burnt smell is your clutch plates becomeing toast. Hopefully there is life left in them.
Codes? Maybe test fluid pressures.

Back