NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Chapters > South East Chapter
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

South East Chapter Discussion of Chapter issues. Please keep Tech Topics on the Tech Forums.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 84 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old March 23rd, 2012, 19:42
Oh the huge manatee

Does anyone have the number and sizes of the oil pan bolts for a renix 4.0L pan?
I am having to redo my RMS and oil pan even though it got done before I left TN and a few bolts were missing.
Old March 23rd, 2012, 20:00
NAXJA Member

Location: Central MA - keep going till the road turns to dirt, then listen for banjos
Re: Weekend is over...what did you get done?

apparently most are 1/4-20 1/2" long and some are 5/16-18 3/4" long (iirc, the corners each have a 5/16 one.)

http://www.kelleyswip.com/screws.html is my first reference on this kind of thing unless it's something I already have memorized.
CTeunuch: Sometimes I really wonder if this sport makes you insane, or it just attracts the mentally unstable.
Old March 23rd, 2012, 20:09
Oh the huge manatee

Thanks.

I have most of the bolts, but not all. I wanted to be doubly sure I get the correct bolts to put back in. I'm not particularly excited about this. Note to self: don't pay local members to do work for you, then move away from them.
Old March 23rd, 2012, 20:14
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastein View Post
apparently most are 1/4-20 1/2" long and some are 5/16-18 3/4" long (iirc, the corners each have a 5/16 one.)

http://www.kelleyswip.com/screws.html is my first reference on this kind of thing unless it's something I already have memorized.
i thought everything was metric on an xj...
my renix oilpan bolts were m6x1.5 or some junk.
Old March 23rd, 2012, 20:19
NAXJA Forum User

engine fasteners are often standard and the trans fasteners are always metric from my experience.
Old March 23rd, 2012, 20:31
NAXJA Member

Location: Central MA - keep going till the road turns to dirt, then listen for banjos

basically anything that screws into the engine block is standard. Some of the stuff that bolts to the intake manifold is metric, most everything that bolts to the transmission is metric (except the external slave, off the top of my head, and some of the starter bolts?), most things on the transfer case are standard but a few aren't, almost all the body/suspension stuff is metric, and almost everything inside the front axle is standard. Rear axle IIRC is mostly metric.
CTeunuch: Sometimes I really wonder if this sport makes you insane, or it just attracts the mentally unstable.
Old March 23rd, 2012, 20:34
Twisted Up

Would it have killed them to pick ONE type? I'd prefer all metric, but seriously...if they did all standard i'd still be cool with it. It's the mix-matched half and half that drives me nuts!
-'17 Ruby Red F150 Lariat. Tow rig and occasional DD
Old March 23rd, 2012, 20:46
NAXJA Member

Well, the engine design is from the 70s or earlier IIRC... or grew out of something from back then. So it was all SAE. Same with some of the other parts... rather than change things over that were running just fine they kept em that way, and used metric for everything new.

I would have been happy if they just didn't use the E12s on the top of the bellhousing, or alternatively, if some bastard hadn't stolen what was apparently $800 worth of tools out of the back of my MJ a while ago. I still haven't figured out everything that got taken, one of the things I forgot to buy a new one of was my external torx set, so there are two bolts still holding my broken transmission in, instead of the new one being most of the way in already.

I hate thieves.
Old March 23rd, 2012, 21:10
Twisted Up

The same guy who decided E12's were a good idea must have been the same guy who decided a T60 was a good idea for the oil filter housing. You know, that same housing that's about 3 inches away from the unibody making it 99% impossible to remove.

I've become quite good at removing that housing now, as I go through o-rings 1-2 times a year...
Old March 23rd, 2012, 21:56
NAXJA Member

I've found the more I have to take a bolt out the easier it is... mostly because it doesn't have time to seize in place. I took the bolts holding the catalytic converter flange together out with a single 1/2" box wrench and my fingers today, for instance, even though they were completely crusted with mud.

and yeah, whoever made those decisions should be forced to work on their creations after 20 years of rust and dirt have been added... and then taken out in a field and their fingers shot off one by one
Old March 24th, 2012, 06:42
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCC_99XJ View Post
The same guy who decided E12's were a good idea must have been the same guy who decided a T60 was a good idea for the oil filter housing. You know, that same housing that's about 3 inches away from the unibody making it 99% impossible to remove.

I've become quite good at removing that housing now, as I go through o-rings 1-2 times a year...
The next time you have the housing off, weld a 1/2"-13 nut to the end of the bolt(weld it through the center like a plug weld) then all you have to do is put a wrench on it to get the bolt out.
Old March 24th, 2012, 07:21
Twisted Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjtrailrider View Post
The next time you have the housing off, weld a 1/2"-13 nut to the end of the bolt(weld it through the center like a plug weld) then all you have to do is put a wrench on it to get the bolt out.
I'll have to do that next time. It's about due to start leaking again so maybe i'll be doing that soon.

I managed to find a Torx set from Pep Boys that was just a 6 point all the way around. Took that, cut it down to almost nothing, put the bit on the bolt with a wrench and a looooooong breaker bar and it came off. I'm amazed at how tight this stupid bolt gets over time too.

First time I did it I learned not to use Gearwrench wrenches between the bit and the breaker bar. You know those funny Z shaped wrenches people pay a lot of money for? I unintentionally made one in about 3 seconds flat that day....
Old March 24th, 2012, 07:24
NAXJA Forum User

I need to do my orings as well, I made the tool already, but havent used it yet. Been putting it off.
Old March 24th, 2012, 11:23
NAXJA Forum User

Ordered plane tickets to Colorado today! May try and rig something up to mount my sway bar when i disconnect, the bungees aren't working for me anymore.
[/QUOTE]
Old March 24th, 2012, 11:42
Member Number 257

Working on half door project. Thanks to stump the welding is going better. The welds still look like shit but I'm blowing through the thin door skin less.