• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tire recommendations?

ericfx1984

NAXJA Forum User
I am trying to decide what tires to purchase here in the very near future

currently I am running some mismatched 285/75/16 mudders wrapped around some Soft 8s (16x8 4" BS), d30/8.25 open/3.55 (planning to add a locker in the rear at least) and wanting to add deeper gears as well (4.56 or 4.88?)

the truck is 1996 Jeep Cherokee on a 3" lift with massive fender trimming

not interested in AT tires... those are for mall crawlin' :laugh3:

would like an aggressive tread pattern, that takes a while to wear (hard tire?)

budget is a concern... my buddy recommended treadwrights... not sure about retreads... my wife says NO, but my wallet says YES!!!

also I would consider a taller tire but I would like the keep the tire no wider than 11.5"

I've beat the shit out of my Treadwrights and haven't had an issue with them yet. Had them up to 100mph or more with no issues, they all balanced nicely aside from one, and it looked like the rim was warped so both I and the tire tech were pretty sure that was the rim's fault not the tire. I'm running the same size you are, ATs, they are decent in the snow and kinda lame/average everywhere else. I'd probably go for an MT and sipe them if I did it again.

Maxxis Bighorns?

Wrangler MT/R, Firestome Destination M/T, Cooper Discoverer STT, General Grabber Red Letter.

MTRs

They are great for road, but from what I have been using them for (Mostly rocks) they just don't hook up like alot of other tires even when aired down to 10-11 psi...

They are great for road, but from what I have been using them for (Mostly rocks) they just don't hook up like alot of other tires even when aired down to 10-11 psi...

I am trying to decide what tires to purchase here in the very near future

currently I am running some mismatched 285/75/16 mudders wrapped around some Soft 8s (16x8 4" BS), d30/8.25 open/3.55 (planning to add a locker in the rear at least) and wanting to add deeper gears as well (4.56 or 4.88?)

the truck is 1996 Jeep Cherokee on a 3" lift with massive fender trimming

not interested in AT tires... those are for mall crawlin' :laugh3:

would like an aggressive tread pattern, that takes a while to wear (hard tire?)

budget is a concern... my buddy recommended treadwrights... not sure about retreads... my wife says NO, but my wallet says YES!!!

also I would consider a taller tire but I would like the keep the tire no wider than 11.5"

I running 265/75/16's treadwright guard dogs because they offered em in C load range. I got five tires shipped to my door for literally half the price it costs for FOUR name brand tires at the similar size. Crazy huh? Dunno why your wife is saying no. Nothing wrong with the tires. They balance amazingly well, are super quiet, and do great in every condition i put them in. They come with a 2 year 24k warranty as well.

DSCF7440.jpg

My vote goes to Treadwright if you want to save money and still get an awesome performing tire.

There's been a clearing out of Dunlop Mud Rovers online. Just put some on the XJ (open diffs, 3.73's) and they far outperfromed the KM2's on my WJ (same size, but true trac and 4.10's). This was on severely muddy, steep, rut infested trails, on a hunting trip.

Sell something and buy boggers, everyone needs boggers

x2, i know a budget is a concern but how much money are u willing to dump into tires and what tipe of wheeling do u do i have 33x12.50 r 15 tsl radials and love them they last me a bought 4 years and they do make them in 10.50.

Cooper STTs FTW for a good all around tire.

I absolutey love my duratracs...they are cheap...very little road noise...very good all around traction and are chunk and tear resistant. If you want to spend a tad more mt/r is also a nice tire

I absolutey love my duratracs...they are cheap...very little road noise...very good all around traction and are chunk and tear resistant. If you want to spend a tad more mt/r is also a nice tire

Alot of dudes on my local forum recommend this tire cuz it's cheap and it does the job plus more. It seems to be a really good tire that's catching on fast.

I'm in a similar situation right now too. After doing some research I think I'm going with the BFG KM2s (reverse mounted). 285/70R17 @ Sears for $245.

I used to own a 2006 TJ Rubi (unmodified) but was forced to sell it a little over a year ago due to the economy. The stock Wrangler MTRs gave me a good 35K miles but I pushed them to 45K miles. I rotated and balanced them every 3K miles. Including the spare. Great tire but they didn't seem to wear very evenly.

Back