• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire Recommendations

sam24th

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so I have a buddy who got a new midsized truck and he needs to replace the tires. Hes looking at tires that are either 32 or 33inches. Anyone can recommend some good tire brands? He wants some A/T tires and has a budget of about 800-1k. Really just looking for you guys opinion on this.

BFG at's and Cooper at's are two great tires for the money.

Where does your buddy live? How much wheeling vs. street driving does he expect to do? What are his biggest needs out of the tires i.e. offroad traction, onroad traction, treadlife, quiet ride, snow/ice?

WIll this be a mostly street truck, that may see wet grass / dirt / shallow mud or a weekend warrior / wheeler??

Mostly a street truck with light wheeling involved. Either dirt or mud and slight rocks. As far as trails probably uwharrie kind of trails. Also rim size is 15inch rims and I think 10inches wide.

I'll 2nd the BFG AT's. Their drawback is mud, but if you stick to light mud use and keep on the skinny pedal a bit more you can get through fairly easy. I loved mine..got well over 50K out of them (wheelin at Uwharrie, all kinds of highway driving, camping trips on the beach, excursions on snowy mountain trails etc...)

Still had easily another 5K of street driving left in them when I passed them on to another member as rollers.

I guess I shoulda specified that he wants something with a bit more aggressive looking tread pattern then the BFG ATs. He likes the tread on the new falken A/Ts that I got on my jeep but I havent had them on my jeep long enough to give him a good opinion on it.

Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac. Well behaved AT on the road, wears like iron, looks great with large shoulder/sidewall lugs.

If he wants something more aggressive then look at the BFG MT km3 I think is what they are up to now. Looks like a krawler pattern. The Cooper STT is a nice radial mud tire that is realativly cheap and wears nice. When I did my last build I was going to run the 37 cooper but it was more expensive the the SS I ended up with. Back then it was a new tire and was sold a little more then what it should have been sold for.

If he has 16's or up, or could do with 31 x10.5x15 check out retreads
http://www.treadwright.com/default.aspx. I have a set of the guard dog m/t's on mine. Love them(for what they are). Paid $410 to my door. Granted mines not a dd, from other reviews, people are getting about 20-30k out of them. Not sure how retreads would do on a dd, but hey...the bigs trucks do it, as long as you keep them aligned and properly inflated Im sure they will be fine.

OR check out the Kuhmo's(have up to a 35 on a 15" wheel). http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...5QR5KL71&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes
I ran them on my last truck, decently quiet on the road and smooth, awesome off road, and didnt seem to wear to quick, traded the truck about 8 months after getting the tires and didnt have but maybe a 1/16th less.

If he has 16's or up, or could do with 31 x10.5x15 check out retreads
http://www.treadwright.com/default.aspx. I have a set of the guard dog m/t's on mine. Love them(for what they are). Paid $410 to my door. Granted mines not a dd, from other reviews, people are getting about 20-30k out of them. Not sure how retreads would do on a dd, but hey...the bigs trucks do it, as long as you keep them aligned and properly inflated Im sure they will be fine.

Running them on mine now as a DD. Put them on in October and have about about 8K on them already and they're holding up great. Just going to rotate them for the first time this weekend actually. I paid $460 to my door. Friend of mine just picked up some in a bigger variety for his K5 and paid about the same price.

Back