• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TJ serp belt tensioner, maybe XJ also.

BrokenXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I am replacing the serp belt on a 2000 TJ. It has a spring load belt tensioner? I suppose the new XJ's have this style also. Could someone give me some instruction on how to install the serp belt with this kind of tensioner?

BrokenXJ said:
I am replacing the serp belt on a 2000 TJ. It has a spring load belt tensioner? I suppose the new XJ's have this style also. Could someone give me some instruction on how to install the serp belt with this kind of tensioner?

I am not familliar with the TJ, however I have replaced a number of belts with tensioners.
Basically you have the tensioner spring loaded pulley pushing against the belt.
You need to release the tension on the belt by moving that pulley away from the belt. The tensioner usually has a square hole where you attach a breaker bar or rachet and lever the tensioner away to release the tension. It could also have a place where you attach an open wrench. While holding the tensioner away, get the belt off the tensioner pulley and then you can carefully let the tensioner go to its rest position.
Get the new belt in place, move the tensioner away again so that you can rest the tensioner pulley on the belt and you got it.

On my 01xj the belt is adjusted by the power steering pump,you need to loosen the mounting bolts ,then turn the adjusting bolt,make sure to tighten all bolts when finished!

Back