• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1990 Cherokee Power Windows

argalaviz

NAXJA Member #1248
The drivers side window has been acting slow as of late and today finally stopped moving. The bummer is that it is stuck down and it's winter...

I have voltage to the motor when pushing the switch but the motor will not turn. I checked for any wierdness with the wiring and found a broken wire under the floor mat area of the drivers side which I fixed and now my power door locks work, which is nice.

So If the wiring looks good and the other window switches work on the control panel work is it possible that the motor is shot? I did search the forum and thats what lead me to pull up the carpets to check there.

It's a safe bet you're motors toast.My pass. side is doing the same thing.I would grease the track the window rides on first and if that does'nt cure it then you need a motor(about 75.00 at autozone or 40.00 at the yard)

Check the wire close, where it goes into the little black box (junction) at the motor. The wire wiggles and fatigues there. You may only have a few strands of copper still connected, most may have broken. The little black (plastic) junction block, has two spade connectors inside, that must be removed from the rear side of the junction block, there is a little plastic cap, at the rear that must be pried off. Hard to do with the motor still in the vehicle.
Unhooking the nut from the window cable, at the window base and making a hook from wire, to hold the window up, works as a temp fix. Making kind of an "S" hook near the vent window, to hold the window up, works well.

Thanks for the tips.

I went back out to the garage to move the Jeep in for the night and just for grins I tried the switch and the window runs right back up at full speed.

I will be double checking the wires as advised. It's got to be a short somewhere.

The wiring harnesses look clean but I'll get some electrical cleaner tomorrow and make sure everything is good.

Ditto what 8Mud said. Same thing happened on mine. I did not figure it out however until after I install the new motor. I repaired the old one and now have a spare to use on any window - just have to switch out the regulator tot he motor. Greg

Back