• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Late model LIFTGATE - HOW TO

crawldaddy

NAXJA Member # 1491
Just wanted to share a method for unlatching a liftgate when the handle mechanism fails. This was the miracle cure for me...my liftgate would not open - no way, no how.

Dealer wanted $120 to diagnose it. I had it open in 2 minutes. It's easy, don't cut into your interior panel or body before you try this first.

Grasp the interior panel just below the window, hands each about 7" from the center line. Work your fingers under the panel. There's a foam strip that may be holding the trim in place. Snap the panel forward to disengage the two nylon clips holding the panel to the liftgate. You should now have enough clearance to see down the liftgate toward the latch.

Just about 1.5" off-center on the driver side, a rod runs down from the handle to the latch arm. Either get under the latch arm with a coat hanger, or grab the rod with a slim jim (my choice). TaDa - liftgate is now open. Proceed to remove the interior panel.

The latch mechanism on my daughter's '96 differs from that in my wife's 2000. The 2000 had failed, and it is adjusted by a threaded rod and snap-in plastic catch. I took-out 1/8" of slop and re-assembled. Another owner suggests adding a nut to the threaded rod to keep the catch from slipping.

(yes, I cheated by taking the '96 apart first - then it was obvious.)

crawldaddy

search keywords: tailgage liftgate hatch latch

I did this last week. Was able to pull the plastic far enough away to reach the threaded rod with my hand. No damage to any plastic or the clips was done.

Back