• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'92 Eliminator Resto

Lurch

NAXJA Forum User
Hi Everyone -

I've been wanting an MJ since, well middle school and actively been looking for one for the last year. This one popped up on CL on Monday, and I met the guy Tuesday morning to take the keys from him before anyone else got to here.

The MJ - a '92 Eliminator, 5 speed, 2wd:

It's a very clean truck both inside and out for the amount of miles on the odometer (338,000!), but there's always work to be done. The previous owner only had it for about 6 months and didn't know much of the history, but I think it's lived its whole life in CA. The motor runs really good for having that many miles on it, lots of power and no weird noises making me wonder if it's been rebuilt at some point (stoker??:firedevil). I haven't had a chance to pull the carpets and check for rust yet, but will do so after I get done moving to Long Beach at the end of the month.

Plans for this are pretty simple. Restore it to as close as OEM as possible. Minor body work, maybe repaint (definitely the flares and grill, PO painted them black), Eliminator and Jeep decals, etc. I would love to get my hands on some of the 10 hole OEM alloy wheels that it originally came with, but I'm digging the Moabs for now.

Anyway, this will be a slow build as I'm moving into my first house this summer, need to finish prepping my XJ for a Moab trip in the fall, plus all the other things life throws at me, but I'll try to keep this thread updated as work progresses.:cheers:

Nice. Wish I could find a clean 4wd, auto, longbed

Clean. Rubi wheels look great on it.

Nice looking MJ, Lurch. I've got a set of those same wheels, waiting to go on. Good to have another local MJ for our next MJ Meet and Greet...whenever that may be. :)

Big question.. what did you pay for it?!

I'll take those wheels off your hands.. i think I have a set of older heep 5 spoke slum wheels to trade?

Nice looking MJ, Lurch. I've got a set of those same wheels, waiting to go on. Good to have another local MJ for our next MJ Meet and Greet...whenever that may be. :)

we should do one :thumbup:

I rode in Scott's MJ....Very clean :)

That's a nice looking MJ!!! I like the black and red theme.

That is a really sweet MJ. Glad to see a 92 get the treatment it deserves.

I'd be tempted to keep the grill and flares as they are though, I kinda like it.

The seat back on the passenger seat is a drivers side seat back. The latch for tilt forward should be on the outside of the seat.

Are you going to keep it 2WD?

Nice spot, I noticed that but didn't put two and two together. Gotta check the other one to see if they're reversed. I'll be taking the seats off soon anyway to check for rust on the floor pans.

I'm keeping it 2wd, this thing won't see any dirt time.

The black trim is growing on me for sure. I've always liked color matched flares, grill, etc, but with the red it think that might be too much. Plus the black gives it a bit more aggressive look.

I bet someone replaced the gauge cluster for some reason. That's a hell of a jump.

Look for .eu spec park lamps, they look much nicer in a black grille:
EU+Park+Off.jpg

So the guy I bought the MJ from called me up out of the blue and said that he found some parts to the truck when he was cleaning out his garage, just the parts I thought I was going to have a tough time finding. Made my life easier.

Back cab panel + jack:

Had a the original 10 hole spare tire too, now that I can see what it would look like on the rig I'm sold with keeping the Moabs.

Pic of the pass side bedside and door. I'm hoping a good paintless dent repair tech can pull these. Only real body damage on the truck besides a little cracked paint on the tailgate.

Last edited:
Back