• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stroker build

kf_chris

NAXJA Forum User
After I found out that the motor was dead, the stroker was an obvious option. I enjoy general opinion threads, and now that the 67 is on the low burner until I can fund that project...well it's time for this one

Tyler is doing all of the work, it's too much in a short time for me to try.
My 4.0 block (135K miles)
4.0 rods (possibly peened?)
258 crank
'95 model head (cleaned up, gasket match, valves touched up)
Comp Cam 231-4 camshaft
KB 944 pistons
ARP hardware (if available)
Ford mustang injectors (24 lb to start)
Banks header
Melling HV oil pump

I was looking at stroker recipes on
http://www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/stroker.html
I was hoping to go with a 4.7L but I don't want to open the cylinders up more than .030", and I don't want to get into ecu work that's going to get real involved.
I'm running the stock airbox, probably throw in a K&N filter. I have a Flowmaster 50 series muffler and (I think) a 2.5" Rusty's exhaust.
If anyone has any input on this fire away. If not friendly banter is welcome. I hope it'll be done by the 10th or so of December.
I can't wait to drive it. I'm thinking a possible rear end upgrade will be in the works from this but I don't know for now.
May get a high flow cat also...

looking forward to your jeep gettin built, tyler and dan stopped by on their way home and we talked about it during my break, itll be a good test bed for running a stroker on the newer style ingnition i think its gonna be sweet

I think so. Hope so...
I'm interested to see how it runs with the ignition set up too. I'm trying NOT to require any tuning. But I'll probably purchase some parts and have it tuned at a later date so I have no worries about A/F or anything.

there is a place here in nashville called CARMA, and the guy there is really good with tuning ecu's, dynotesting, and he worked on the project for the company that produced the first available throttle body spacers for the jeep 4.0's. you might look him up to get the most power possible out of that thing. you might also talk to trailratethis on here about a bored throttlebody, too. you could make this thing a real monster! i'm excited to see how it runs! i'd stroke mine, but i don't have the money, and i'm not ready to do an axleswap yet. maybe later on.

I don't want to go to insane with it. It really needs to be something I can have NO WORRIES about at all. Between the issues I've had with my 2 jeeps the last few months I'm a little tired of it. I'm all about low end torque anyway, the more the better.
I haven't looked into 4.6L tuning yet. I'll check out that CARMA place sometime

So, you said "4.0 rods" and "KB pistons".
The two don't mix - you need to go with the "4.2" rods or pistons with a custom wrist height - not off the shelf KBs. Mis-type?

you have almost the same exact build as mine.

you DO NOT need (or want) the high volume oil pump. on extended downhills, my oil pressure drops, as all of the oil is up top, and not in the sump. all i can think to blame this on is the oil pump, and will be switching back to a regular, standard volume pump.

i am running Crower cam saver lifters and thought that that extra "leak" would warrant the high volume pump, but others on jeepstrokers are running those lifters with the standard volume/pressure pumps with no problem.

good luck with your build, you are going to love it

I will be in Knoxville for 6 weeks starting in January - I'd love to meet up with you guys and especially check out your stroker build, Chris.

McGhee-Tyson ANGB, here I come....lol

I'm thinking about using an all Mopar part line on the head and camshaft. There seems to be less lift but it seems to be a worry free part. May be less of an issue with the OBD II setup.

I'm late with a reply but the kb944&945s are made for the 4.0 rod, not the 4.2 rod(tsk-tsk yossarian). It looks like a good build. You'll have to fab mounts for the coil rail and plug the rear coolant temp port in the 95 head(use old sensor if you have one).

What is the reason you are using the expensive KB944 pistons on such a mild build? I think it would be a better use of funds to go with 4.2 rods and silvolite pistons.

I'm building this with the parts I want to use, that's why I'm using those pistons.

I'm a little worried for the way it will run after it's built but that's for another day. I think it should come together nicely.

Last edited:
I'm thinking about using an all Mopar part line on the head and camshaft. There seems to be less lift but it seems to be a worry free part. May be less of an issue with the OBD II setup.
are you going to go with a new cam, or re-use one? if you are going new, no reason to stay loyal to mopar, just break it in correctly. i am running the Comp 231 cam on OBDII with no problems at all, but i am running a short-rod 4.6

So Tyler yanked the 4.0

The 1 and 6 bearings spun. I'm wondering what the cause was for that. But it's in the past now. I just don't want it to be from a type of oil or something.

He said that it'll be done around the second week of Dec, which is nice since I'll be here in Peru until the first weekend of Dec.

I hope that the rear axle is enough, may be planning either a D44 or 8.8 swap in the future.

you have almost the same exact build as mine.

you DO NOT need (or want) the high volume oil pump. on extended downhills, my oil pressure drops, as all of the oil is up top, and not in the sump. all i can think to blame this on is the oil pump, and will be switching back to a regular, standard volume pump.

i am running Crower cam saver lifters and thought that that extra "leak" would warrant the high volume pump, but others on jeepstrokers are running those lifters with the standard volume/pressure pumps with no problem.

good luck with your build, you are going to love it

I have a high volume high performance oil pump that came with my Golen stroker, i have yet to have any problems even with some extremely steep situations i have put my XJ through.

yes I appreciate the input from tomcat but I'm getting the Melling HV pump. I'll deal with issues as I see them come up after the build but I'm not expecting much (fingers crossed)

why not both and do it right?
I'm trying to source the camsavers now
anyone have a link?

nevermind

http://www.summitracing.com/search/Year/1995/Make/JEEP/Model/CHEROKEE/Brand/Crower/?Ns=Rank%7cAsc

2nd edit to this post by me

after researching on jeepstrokers.com
I don't think that the HV pump is a requirement. I will not be running high RPM's at all, the motor does not see more than 3500 usually, though I assume it will early on when I'm playing with it and getting used to the new power!
Camsavers seem to be enough and that's the consensus on the stroker site.

Last edited:
Initial parts order is out. Header cam kit, lifters, pistons. Maybe something else...

Looking into a pre oiler setup because of the time my jeep sits at the airport. Probably see if I can mount the AMSOIL one with the remote filter also on the passenger area under the hood. Still researching install and cost.

Back