• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adding a Drain Plug, Currie 9 in. Rear End

Black1990jeep

NAXJA Forum User
Id like to add a drain plug to my Currie 9 inch rear end. It has an Eaton TruTrac. I have no idea how it looks internally, the thickness of the case, where the lowest location is internally, nor how much clearance I have inside for a pipe tap to run up thru a hole I drill.

Would someone please provide how they have done this, or photographs on the inside so I can plan where to add the drain plug hole?

Thanks

You will know where to drill when you pull the 3rd member. You may need to add a bung to make up for thickness.

youll need to pull the third out to clean the housing after drilling/tapping/welding (what ever method you chose). aside from the ring gear, youll have plenty of room to play. i added a giant fill/inspection to my 9 as well.

Id like to add a drain plug to my Currie 9 inch rear end. It has an Eaton TruTrac. I have no idea how it looks internally, the thickness of the case, where the lowest location is internally, nor how much clearance I have inside for a pipe tap to run up thru a hole I drill.

Would someone please provide how they have done this, or photographs on the inside so I can plan where to add the drain plug hole?

Thanks

2 minute Google search.......

Filler
https://ljrc1.com/item/1219552-175-alumcap-bung-steel-weld-on?brand=9232

Drain plug location
http://www.jimmeyerracing.com/image...assis/55-57_chevy_car_gasser_chassis_019b.jpg

Drain plug
http://www.chassisunlimited.com/product/diff-covers/steel-drain-plug.html

I prefer a flush plug installation, but it's hard to accomplish! I recommend a 1/8-27 NPT for the most contact and zero exposed material!

1/8"? thats annoyingly small. my narrowed/shaved 9 took almost 5 quarts of gear oil. would have taken hours for it to drain through a 1/8" plug.

the better option for a drain plug is to shave it while you are in there... gain some ground clearance and give yourself a nice thick piece of metal to weld the bung to. mount it flush or sub flush. no photos of the plug, but it was 1/2" i think... big enough to get a weld on if you managed to beat it up and couldnt get an allen on it anymore. basically... miss the ring gear and youve got miles of room.

10303300_641498332571253_1169975013699665248_n.jpg

10259841_642220962498990_8285785259706878485_n.jpg

same goes for a fill/inspection plug:

13254157_1004796226241460_5922790950935673698_n.jpg

1/8"? thats annoyingly small. my narrowed/shaved 9 took almost 5 quarts of gear oil. would have taken hours for it to drain through a 1/8" plug.

1/8" NPT is about 3/8" in diameter!

I prefer a flush plug installation, but it's hard to accomplish! I recommend a 1/8-27 NPT for the most contact and zero exposed material!

That is easy to accomplish by drilling and tapping the housing and using an Allen head plug. Test fitting and tapping until the plug go in as far you wish assuming the housing material is 1/4" or thicker.

To protect the plug from being mangled, a piece of metal could be welded around the plug thick enough to extend below the plug. Look at the Toyota and Mitsubishi differential drain plugs for an example.

Back