• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heat sink style steering coolers...

Rockdrummer93

NAXJA Forum User
Who here is running a through style heat sink power steering cooler? What size y'all using and where y'all putting it? Need to replace my cooler with one and trying to get an idea of how everyone else is running them before I order one. Please and thank you!

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-331000

Think this is the one I used. It's mounted kinda where the front cross member used to be. I ran 3/8 Parker pusklok hoses and fittings on it. Seems to work fine. I keep meaning to grab my temp gun and see how much it drops but I never have. I mounted it low but still protected so hopefully it gets cool air around it. I still have my oe power steering pump with almost 290k and it gets a little pissy on the trail but the cooler definitely seems to help it.

I can’t put it behind the front crossmember due to my winch I was hoping I could put it behind my grill in front of my radiator but not sure if it’ll fit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They're pretty big to fit there. You could go under the hood somewhere as I've seen that done before. The nice thing about the heat sink style is they don't require direct airflow so you have a lot of options as far as mounting.

There is room for a 3/4" plate cooler in front of the a/c condenser...........
P1080549_zpskj0oyb9u.jpg

Tube coolers have more restrictions than a plate style!

Just responding to the pics you posted? Plate coolers are also more efficient!

Deleted

Last edited:
This is my cooler now. I’m trying to get away from a the radiator style. Trying to cut down on restrictions.

IMG_2310_zpsmjugekui.jpg

Five coolers,...How do you divide them up?

Tube & Fin fall in the middle of the efficiency and cooling spectrum.

They're better for systems like the trans where cavitation and aeration isn't as much of an issue.

Plate & Fin are the most efficient, but tend to be less "desirable" for systems like steering.

I've run everything from single pass (long tube with fins) to plate & fin. All have their upsides and downsides.

Tube coolers have more restrictions than a plate style!

Not exactly.

Plate & Fin work better at cooling since they spread the fluid more evenly through the various baffles/fins.

Tube & Fin is just a tube, with fins attached for heat sink. Unless the tube has something holding up the flow, it should flow the same as any other tube.

Those are better for hydro steering systems, since the plate & fin style don't work as well with (higher) pressurized systems.

That’s what my issue is.. I am on my 3rd PSC pump in 2 years. First it was with assist and the cooler was too small. then I went to full hydro with everything being psc and a bigger cooler.. still blew out a pump. I have reworked my lines on this latest pump moving my reservoir higher and so far so good but have been told that the straight single pass coolers were the way to go. From what I’ve been learning I’m probably just gonna ride out for now and see if it still has issues if not leave it alone if so replace the cooler with a single pass

I run a Derale 12" single pass cooler on my full hydro.

That being said, I'll be adding the tube & plate cooler that was originally my trans cooler into the steering system. My hydro has gotten a little warm a few times, and I already have the cooler with fan, and a mounting area for it.

I've been using the Derale 13260 with my PSC modified pump. I mounted it on the front crossmember but my winch isn't there. Seems to work just fine, but it won't get truly tested until the summer heat gets here.

Back