• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AX-15 & NP231 T-Case Fluid Info Needed

MassMopar

NAXJA Forum User
What I have:

98 2-door Canadian XJ, LHD, 4.0 / AX-15 / NP-231 / HD30 / C8.25

What I need to know:

What fluid brand, weight, and quantity should I use for the 5-speed AX-15 and the NP-231 transfer case.

Any additional info would be helpful, like what size are the drain plugs (3/8?), any other tips & tricks for a plain-old fluid replacement are encouraged.

If you have a link handy that has the answers to my question please post it up, I did spend 10 minutes bashing away at the search function but never got all the info I'm after.

:repair: :viking:

AX-15: ~3.5L. Any gear oil specifically designed for manual transmissions. My local NAPA has Redline MT-90 on the shelf, one of the best fluids for it. Four bottles fits with some left over. Royal Purple SynchroMax and Pennzoil SynchroMesh are other choices. Don't run 75w90 API GL-5 as the GL-5 rating is achieved by using a high amount of extreme pressure anti-scuffing additives designed to reduce wear in hypoid gears (differentials), and is corrosive to the AX-15's brass synchros. Likewise motor oil shouldn't be used either as it cannot offer the same protection that a gear box designed for gear oil requires. A few years ago a bunch of fanboys on Jeep Forum got all excited when a Chrysler employee confirmed that a part number for 75w90 GL-3 oil was superceded with a part number for 10w30... right around the time that the AX-15 was no longer covered by warranty. Same thing happened with the AW4, as soon as the warranty dropped Chrysler started filling them with their own ATF+4.

NP231: ~1.5L of just about any ATF you want. It's been approved for use with all the major manufacturer's own types. It's also been found to do quite well on synthetic 5w30 by Rockland Standard Gear as it evaporates less.

Confused on what "Canadian" means, metric cluster and DRLs? Otherwise they are identical.

AX-15: ~3.5L. Any gear oil specifically designed for manual transmissions. My local NAPA has Redline MT-90 on the shelf, one of the best fluids for it. Four bottles fits with some left over. Royal Purple SynchroMax and Pennzoil SynchroMesh are other choices. Don't run 75w90 API GL-5 as the GL-5 rating is achieved by using a high amount of extreme pressure anti-scuffing additives designed to reduce wear in hypoid gears (differentials), and is corrosive to the AX-15's brass synchros. Likewise motor oil shouldn't be used either as it cannot offer the same protection that a gear box designed for gear oil requires. A few years ago a bunch of fanboys on Jeep Forum got all excited when a Chrysler employee confirmed that a part number for 75w90 GL-3 oil was superceded with a part number for 10w30... right around the time that the AX-15 was no longer covered by warranty. Same thing happened with the AW4, as soon as the warranty dropped Chrysler started filling them with their own ATF+4.

NP231: ~1.5L of just about any ATF you want. It's been approved for use with all the major manufacturer's own types. It's also been found to do quite well on synthetic 5w30 by Rockland Standard Gear as it evaporates less.

Confused on what "Canadian" means, metric cluster and DRLs? Otherwise they are identical.

:cheers: Exactly what I was looking for, thanks for the info!!

I threw the canadian in there (probably shoud've just said export...) as a joke to the guys who always reply to a thread demanding more model info. 200 KPH cluster, block heater, DRLs for the win :wierd:

Back