• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Death wobble

Bmfinney

NAXJA Forum User
Well guys I’m needing some advice. So I just replaced all my tie rod joints. And it made the wobble a lot better but it’s still there sometimes. The ball joints are in good shape. I took a tape measure to the tires and got the alignment close. Don’t want to pay the money to align it until I know for sure that is the issue. Everything looks good in the front. I jacked up the front and shook the tires and there isn’t any play in them. Wondering if the control arm bushings could cause that and should replace those. Or I should just take it in to get an alignment.

There is almost a full page of items that cause or contribute to DW. Until you perform a "good " inspection of all the items your just guessing. Looking and wiggling things is not a full or good inspection! A lot of times it's accumulative effect of more than 1 item, but added together create the DW.

I usually keep the vehicle on the ground and have someone slowly move the steering wheel back-n-forth about 1/4 turn in each direction while I carefully look and feel for anything moving that shouldn't be. Doing it in air or just shaking things doesn't always find the problem.

If you did all the tie rods ends, I would look closely at the trackbar. Tape measure at the tires will get you close. There are better methods though. Toe-on should be about 1/4 degree. If you're using a tape measure between front and back of the tires do the math to figure that out in inches. A little more toe-in is preferable to too little.

Do you feel any new vibrations due to the new hard durometer bushing?

Back