• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clutch Reservoir issue

Nomad Nate

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all. I have 91 XJ with the AX-15 transmission. I noticed it was a little tougher to put it in gear and checked the clutch reservoir. It’s pretty much empty and from the looks of it the PO replaced this at some point.

It doesn’t have a full line and the cap doesn’t have plug. I’m not sure how high I should fill. Also I assume I’ll need to bleed it as well since it so low. Any suggestions are appreciated.

a06b0fa2e38291e6f1760a8d48bb660b.jpg

258f0e1dac43388d5cfe628273cac917.jpg

d837497fad6bff048c3c2ecf4a774dca.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Empty is not good.

First question is where did the fluid go?

Since the most inconvenient option would be the slave (internal to the bellhousing on a 91, right?) that is probably the problem.

As to the fill level, pretty much up to the top.

Maybe (real long shot) you have lost your fluid out the top. I think you are supposed to have a rubber seal with a diaphragm that expands down into the fluid (like on a brake master cylinder). I don't know if you can get that part separately. Might have to hunt for another in the JY. If not in an XJ, try a Dakota or a Ram with a clutch--those might interchange (at least the seal).

Empty is not good.

First question is where did the fluid go?

Since the most inconvenient option would be the slave (internal to the bellhousing on a 91, right?) that is probably the problem.

As to the fill level, pretty much up to the top.

Maybe (real long shot) you have lost your fluid out the top. I think you are supposed to have a rubber seal with a diaphragm that expands down into the fluid (like on a brake master cylinder). I don't know if you can get that part separately. Might have to hunt for another in the JY. If not in an XJ, try a Dakota or a Ram with a clutch--those might interchange (at least the seal).

Thanks. I’m definitely concerned with where it went. I refilled it but couldn’t get it to bleed. I took it around the block and the clutch felt much better.

I will dig further into this of course but curious if I’m going to cause damage if I drive more before I bleed it. I feels good and shifts fine for now at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't imagine you are in danger of doing any measurable damage to the system, provided it seems to be shifting fine.

Back