NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old July 27th, 2020, 13:00
NAXJA Forum User

Rubicon 6 speed manual transmission in XJ?

Have any of you done this mod? Is it possible and is it worth the time/energy? What are the pros/cons?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old July 27th, 2020, 15:29
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Rubicon 6 speed manual transmission in XJ?

The question would be, does anybody make a adapter for it yet?
Old July 27th, 2020, 16:36
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP Phx View Post
The question would be, does anybody make a adapter for it yet?

It mates to the 4.0 in the TJ and LJs so I donít know why you would need an adapter. I want to know if anyone has done this and if itís worth it. The only reason I can see needing an adapter might be for the transfer case if you were not using the NP241OR?

Old July 27th, 2020, 18:03
NAXJA Forum User

I know I saw a build thread awhile back of somebody who had one. IIRC it was behind a diesel motor. I don't even know where to begin looking for the thread though.
Old July 28th, 2020, 06:22
NAXJA Member

I remember someone doing this years ago. From memory it bolts on. The issue is the CPS. It is in a different location or bolt holes are. Some how an adapter was made. That's what I remember. I think there was a slight advantage to the NV3550, but not much.
Old July 28th, 2020, 06:28
NAXJA Member

I recall one of the Magazines- Four Wheeler, JP, or Petersons- swapping one into a Comanche a few years back.

The NSG370 from the TJ/LJ will bolt right up to the 4.0. The biggest issue I recall them having was getting the speedometer on the NP241J they swapped with it to read correctly.
Old July 28th, 2020, 11:40
NAXJA Forum User

That makes sense, I didnít think about the CPS and speedo before. Iíve heard there is a kit to put the CPS on a pulley or something like that, and itís a lot easier to access. Weíll see if I get a hold of the transmission, itís in a wrecked TJ Rubi that I am trying to buy but the owner is unsure right now 🤞🏻🤞🏻

Old July 29th, 2020, 03:45
NAXJA Forum User

The CPS is an easy fix. Hesco sells a $380 kit to relocate it to the crank pulley. I believe your original transfer case will bolt up too, so that would solve your speedometer issue. Really the only question I'd have is whether the mounts are the same, but I expect they are
Old July 29th, 2020, 07:35
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agreen View Post
The CPS is an easy fix. Hesco sells a $380 kit to relocate it to the crank pulley. I believe your original transfer case will bolt up too, so that would solve your speedometer issue. Really the only question I'd have is whether the mounts are the same, but I expect they are
$340

https://hesco.us/products/30802/misc...d#.XyGILp5KiUk

Dammit. Wish I had known about this, just had to swap my crank pulley and would've rather had one of these for the extra peace of mind since a mid-trail repair of the CPS (always carry a spare) would suck.
Old July 29th, 2020, 16:35
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:

Nice! I definitely keep that in mind. I plan to use the transfer case that comes with it, thatís why the speedo might be an issue

Old July 30th, 2020, 16:37
NAXJA Forum User

Eh whatever. It's probably $380 after shipping lol. Or they recently dropped the price. I was looking into this for EFI on my '81 J10. I was planning on doing a 4.0 swap, but the old T-177 doesn't have a provision for the CPS. I ended up getting the TBI, harness, fuel pump, etc. from an S10. I made an aluminum adapter for the TBI and wired it all up. So far it's only just ran in my driveway, but it at least idles and revs better than the carbs I tried on it.

Best part? It was free. A friend was sending the S10 to the JY and told me to take what I wanted from it. Can't beat that free.99
Old July 30th, 2020, 20:07
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocTremp View Post
Nice! I definitely keep that in mind. I plan to use the transfer case that comes with it, thatís why the speedo might be an issue

Dakota Digital and HealTech make digital adapters for it, and I think Superlift still makes one, too. For my 241OR swap I used the HealTech SpeedoHealer v4 on which is plug and play and can be adjusted quickly and easily for any tire size and gear ratio combo.
Old July 30th, 2020, 22:13
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Eh whatever. It's probably $380 after shipping lol. Or they recently dropped the price. I was looking into this for EFI on my '81 J10. I was planning on doing a 4.0 swap, but the old T-177 doesn't have a provision for the CPS. I ended up getting the TBI, harness, fuel pump, etc. from an S10. I made an aluminum adapter for the TBI and wired it all up. So far it's only just ran in my driveway, but it at least idles and revs better than the carbs I tried on it.

Best part? It was free. A friend was sending the S10 to the JY and told me to take what I wanted from it. Can't beat that free.99

Oh nice! Thatís quite an upgrade for sure. And thatís about the best price around haha

Old July 30th, 2020, 22:14
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einulfr View Post
Dakota Digital and HealTech make digital adapters for it, and I think Superlift still makes one, too. For my 241OR swap I used the HealTech SpeedoHealer v4 on which is plug and play and can be adjusted quickly and easily for any tire size and gear ratio combo.

Thanks for the heads up! Iíll check that out when the time comes👍🏼

Old August 1st, 2020, 12:18
NAXJA Member

Someone did it here....

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177...hread-3527642/