• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hiring people

RichP

NAXJA Forum User
I need to hire a bunch of people, receptionists, programmers, developers. Whats the best and cheapest way. Programmers and developers I can find thru my contacts but the receptionist is throwing me. I wanted to steal the one from the office next door but my boss said no. I'd actually like the receptionist to be ex USMC or ARMY and won't take any $hit from the boss. He does not always take his meds....

I'll bet there are some Indians (former developers) you could hire.....

I need an assertive receptionist or the owner will eat her for lunch. Prefer a ex-marine or DI who can rip him a newone if necessary. Actually now that I'm in a position I'm planning on hiring only vets...

I don't know what's available to you, but it might be worth trying a temp service and giving the job to the first one who rises to the occasion.

We had a flaming queen of a receptionist for our old company, and he was excellent. Really solid boundaries and a great work ethic that he said came from having to do twice as much work in order to be recognized for half as much. He minced around the office like one of the girls, but the second he answered the phone, it was straight professionalism...

Rich, you might want to be careful voicing that. I doubt the EEOC would take kindly to it.

Beej said:
I don't know what's available to you, but it might be worth trying a temp service and giving the job to the first one who rises to the occasion.

We had a flaming queen of a receptionist for our old company, and he was excellent. Really solid boundaries and a great work ethic that he said came from having to do twice as much work in order to be recognized for half as much. He minced around the office like one of the girls, but the second he answered the phone, it was straight professionalism...
<grin> Beej, some folks might be horribly offended at your characterization.</grin>

You do have a point, unfortunately. Or maybe I should that HE had a point. I've been fortunate enough that I haven't had to work with a "flaming queen." The gents I work with here tell me that they did have one in the group a few years ago who was just plain incompetent. Matter of fact, they refer to him as "Beetlejuice," aka "he who may not be named." One of the guys here does have an alternative lifestyle, and he's a great guy to work with and he's damned good at what he does. I worked with another guy at a previous job who was just about the same.

ChiXJeff said:
Rich, you might want to be careful voicing that. I doubt the EEOC would take kindly to it.

Well, part of the job requirement is a DD214 :D

Hire a temp. Tell the temp agency your requirements and let them find someone. If the person doesn't work out, you can easily replace them. If they do work out, you sign them on permanent.

RichP said:
I need to hire a bunch of people, receptionists, programmers, developers. Whats the best and cheapest way. Programmers and developers I can find thru my contacts but the receptionist is throwing me. I wanted to steal the one from the office next door but my boss said no. I'd actually like the receptionist to be ex USMC or ARMY and won't take any $hit from the boss. He does not always take his meds....

So you must be the boss :D

Take your meds!

A few women in uniform come through are shop....damn hot! And a bit scary when I know they could just throw me down and have their way....

Good choice Rich!!

Back