• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driver's Side Airbags?

XJCasper

NAXJA Member #1042
Debating uninstalling the Airbags in my 1996 Jeep or my 2002 Spec V.

Does anyone know the Washington State stand on removing the airbag?

If I was pulled over, could I get fined or ticketed for not having the Driver side Airbag?

Or would this be an issue with an insurance company?

Thanks
Jason

Going to ask the obvious... why do you want to remove a safety device from your Jeep?

I am not up on the laws anymore, but I used to be very involved in airbag stuff. More curious than anything why you want to remove it.

I'm sure its probably illegal. If you get pulled over, no i doubt they would even know. Insurance? Yes if you got in a wreck and they found out you removed a safety device, it wouldnt look good. Its kinda like driving on the road with your front swaybar disconnected. if you rolled it, its your fault for driving it while knowing it is unsafe.

but yeah im with glenn, why would you want to?

If your thinking about having a youngster ride up there while 4wheeling and are affraid it might go off if you hit something, just pull the fuse. pop it back in when your done.

I am not sure about the legality of it. I see alot of cars come to our shop with salvage titles AND blown air bags. And they have to get a WSP inspection to get the registration renewed.

But WHY??????

I work with air bags everyday. It takes a HARD(total) hit to get them to go off. And I am pretty sure(have to check my Micthell) that your 96 runs a Single Point Sensor System. It isn't going to go off till you need it. I have never worried about mine.

Hans

With all of the bumps we can encounter, in the Jeep, I did not want it to go off.

In my car, I want a Momo Steering wheel. Before my current line of cars, I have never had Airbags. Always ripped the Steering wheels off to replace them. The two major accidents I have been in, no airbags. Would have really hurt if I did. But the future can't be told. Don't know what kind of impact could happen on any given day.

Yea my concern it to and from the trail/Daily Driving. You never know when someone is going to cross the yellow line and that is when your airbag is going to save your life. I have seen people walk away from death defying accidents because of airbags.

This is kinda like the doorless taco issue. Hasta You could never taco your xj on the trail. But on the street your doors could be the diffrence a trip to the ICU and a trip to the Morge. It's your funeral. I am not saying don't go doorless, because I would like to someday on a limited basis.

Hans

JMotorsprt said:
With all of the bumps we can encounter, in the Jeep, I did not want it to go off.

In my car, I want a Momo Steering wheel. Before my current line of cars, I have never had Airbags. Always ripped the Steering wheels off to replace them. The two major accidents I have been in, no airbags. Would have really hurt if I did. But the future can't be told. Don't know what kind of impact could happen on any given day.

Bumps aren't going to set off anything, unless your married and you hit a bump big enough to due some serious dmg to your rig. Then She'll GO OFF.

The worst and airbag will do to you in an accident is break your nose, and that is not likely either. Your insurance carrier has NO OBLIGATION to reimburse you if you intentionally disable your system.

Don't worry about it. Leave it there. A cool looking steering wheel isn't worth ending up in the hospital for 3 weeks while the plastic surgeon works on your face.

JMotorsprt said:
In my car, I want a Momo Steering wheel.

I had a BMW M3 that I would race at PIR with the BMW club on track days. I wanted a racing steering wheel as well but because it was my daily driver, and it had a steering wheel I remember there was a legality issue with removing an airbag steering wheel to replace it with a non-airbag wheel.

red91inWA said:
Don't worry about it. Leave it there. A cool looking steering wheel isn't worth ending up in the hospital for 3 weeks while the plastic surgeon works on your face.

What he said.

Back