• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

moving to PA

Fidget360

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I'm fixing to move to the Exton, PA area end of hte month, and I'm currious what things on my DD jeep I'll have to fix to pass inspection. I hear they're pretty strict.

how she currently stands:
no swaybars
locked front and rear
a little slop in all TRE's
slop in upper control arm johnny joints
exhaust ends immediately after a muffler that is loose around the inlet pipe
only one shock inthe rear (not by design)
passenger side mirror glass is loose (can't adjust by lever, not in danger of fallilng out)

It really depends on where you get your jeep inspected, a lot of places will let stuff slide...I've never had any issues with missing swaybars or lockers or anything like that, but I would think the missing shock might be a problem and maybe the exhaust.

I work pretty close to Exton in West Chester, so maybe I'll see ya around...

Yes you will fail saftey for that exhaust & most likely for the absense of the front sway bar. My neighbor is a inspection mechanic & said that you can be cited for having the exhaust exiting anywhere under a area that a passenger could be sitting basically. So in a pick up trick you can get away with it but not a jeep.

Never heard anyone having a issue with lockers.

I was running exhaust similar to yours after mine fell off, I went to the junk yard and 1/2 the jeeps there had nicer tailpipes than I did so it was a easy fix. Plenty of swaybars there too.

ok. I figured the shock and the exhaust, just wasn't sure about the swaybar (primarily).
also, I've got an oil leak, would they call me on that?

it does depend on the shop. i failed for sway bar and bad bushings. other shops i have passed with no sway bar and other minor things wrong.
By the way welcome to PA

thanx. I'll be there in a little less than a month.

no swaybars.... depends on shop, i drove my Mustang for 15 years without one.
locked front and rear.... Nothing in inspection book about them, muscle cars had detriot lockers from the factory back in the day
a little slop in all TRE's.... very well could be an issue unless the don't notice them, grease them up first..
slop in upper control arm johnny joints.... some shops might not know what a johnny joint is , tell them that's how it is suppose to be if the question it.
exhaust ends immediately after a muffler that is loose around the inlet pipe.... could fail, as stated can't exit under passenger compartment
only one shock in the rear (not by design).... I'd fix this one for sure, failing issue for sure
passenger side mirror glass is loose (can't adjust by lever, not in danger of fallilng out).....could fail for it, but probably won't be an issue

Find a "jeep friendly" shop:shhh:

Now why in the hell would you leave Colorado for Exton?

She must be gorgeous.... ;)

Welcome to the NAC, see you in June at NAC-Fest. :cheers:
:gee: Bullseye! you got me! Yeah, she sure is.

That and I'm gonna be attending UTI in Exton to be an Industrial Diesel Tech.

By the way, anyone got any work leads in that area that would work around a school schedule?

OK as it sounds right now if you go to reall inspection shop you will fail for the slop in the TRE's and possibly the Upper Control arms (if they actually bother to check them). the Exhaust will definitely fail, as well as shock missing will be an issue. the mirror should be fine and the lockers won't be a problem. the lack of a sway bar should actually fail you ... MY truck won't pass even with the JKS Quicker Discos unless I put a bolt thru were the retaining pin is suppose to be.

for inspection info or work opportunities? or perhaps the option of leaving the rig at home till I can get it legal(ish)?

i've found that if you know a guy, you can pretty much get anything to pass.

find a local member and ask him what shop he uses for inspections. its not like jeep guys are the only people who run illegal parts on the street. the place that does the inspection for me and my buddies is also a huge LSx tuner. the owner has plates on his 900+ HP camaro on slicks.

Now why in the hell would you leave Colorado for Exton?

She must be gorgeous.... ;)

Welcome to the NAC, see you in June at NAC-Fest. :cheers:

As someone who attended last years ColoradoFest, I'm asking the same thing...good lord, man, you're shining Paradise for Hell!...That said, welcome to the NAC, trust us, you will have fun :)
Rich

Back