• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hiring an XJ mechanic for some work

MacTavish

NAXJA Forum User
Hey,

I have a 99' XJ Cherokee Sport and I have some maintenance done. I live in Fort Collins and I have yet to find a respectable and trustworthy mechanic in the area. (If you know any please refer me). Anyway, I figured I'd offer this job to a NAXJA member first before I took it to a shop. Basically, I just need someone to flush radiator. I would prefer someone who has done this before themselves, or someone that is a certified mechanic even. Either one really.

Also, my brakes squeak really badly. Now, its only when I'm going forward and braking so my guess is that its my brake pads wearing down and creating some gnarly harmonic friction. But I really don't know for sure, maybe something just needs some grease. Either way, I have some money and I'm willing to pay someone to fix one or both of these problems for me. The radiator flush is a cheap fix, but the brakes might end up being expensive. Either way my budget is light, but at least I have a budget. If anyone's interested please reply or PM me. Thanks guys.

MacTavish

Do it yourself! The Prestone flush fitting kits cost about $10. By the way, there is no such thing as certification for mechanics, not at the state or federal level. Emissions inspectors have a cert for that then there may be a cert involved for over the road big rigs.

What you see on all the shops is ASE and it's basically a scam.

Interesting, I didn't know they had them. I thought I needed access to the petcock drain valve to do this flush... which is almost impossible on my car. Its not the OEM radiator and the drain valve is not where its supposed to be. I think I'd have to remove the headlight, gril, and battery to get to it.

Interesting, I didn't know they had them. I thought I needed access to the petcock drain valve to do this flush... which is almost impossible on my car. Its not the OEM radiator and the drain valve is not where its supposed to be. I think I'd have to remove the headlight, gril, and battery to get to it.

Just pull off the lower radiator hose.

Alright, so this still needs to get done and after looking at my work schedule, I just don't have the time to dick around with my car. Soooooo, I will pay $40 for someone to come to my place and flush my system. I already have the Prestone flush n fill kit and the coolant ready to go. After reading the instructions on this fill kit, I'm estimating that this job will take at most 1 hour of your time. Probably less. So if anyone wants to make $40 for one hour of work, let me know. I'm located right in downtown Fort Collins 2 blocks from College/Mulberry. So if you're close and you've done a flush before let me know and we'll get this taken care of... thanks.

Hell I'd do it for free if you were closer... I'm in Denver right now.

Wait........ Did he just refer to his XJ as a....... car????

:D

Back