• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

FS: XJ HP30, 3.55's

GhostDakota

NAXJA Forum User
Selling the HP30 out of my XJ. It's got 3.55's and IS a vacuum disconnect. It's from an older XJ, not originally mine. Unsure of mileage.

One hub assembly was replaced roughly 5k miles ago. Other one seems fine. I can include the rotors if needed which don't seem warped and stop me fine. Ball joints were all replaced back in summer. One of the boots is missing.

The bad: It's a vacuum disconnect. My vacuum lines went bad so we took an old cable lock and fixed it to keep the shift fork in place. Works sometimes lol. You can rig it better or run your factory setup. The driver side u-joint could be replaced, I'll give you one for free if you buy the axle.

It is currently located in West Chester, PA, but I may move it to my shore house in NJ this weekend as I have no room here.

4.jpg

Make an offer.

Last edited:
Could I run the shafts and stuff from my '00 LP and eliminate the vac disconnect and have 297 joints and whatnot? If you're in Brick I'm not all that far from you. I've been looking to replace my LP.

WholeLottaXJ said:
Could I run the shafts and stuff from my '00 LP and eliminate the vac disconnect and have 297 joints and whatnot? If you're in Brick I'm not all that far from you. I've been looking to replace my LP.

Yep, you can run those shafts and same u-joints. I go to Brick almost every weekend. I'll be heading up there either this or next weekend to try and swap out that axle. I'm picking one up from my friend in town and taking out the current HP30. I have a 2 car garage there, but it's too small and too packed to fit my Jeep. Do you have a garage (And maybe air tool? :))I can borrow to get my old one out and new one it? I'd cut ya a good deal if that's the case. Let me know. Thanks.

I got air tools and me and one of my buddies would be more than happy to help you with the swap. He's got a 2 car garage, but it's a little tight and we're both kinda weary working with a '63 Vette in the other side. If it's nice out we can just do it right in the driveway, shouldn't take long with three of us working. Let me know what kinda deal we can make and we'll take it from there.

WholeLottaXJ said:
I got air tools and me and one of my buddies would be more than happy to help you with the swap. He's got a 2 car garage, but it's a little tight and we're both kinda weary working with a '63 Vette in the other side. If it's nice out we can just do it right in the driveway, shouldn't take long with three of us working. Let me know what kinda deal we can make and we'll take it from there.

Sounds good. I'm fine working outside and wouldn't want to work near a '63 Vette :) I'd have to hurt myself if I accidentally did something to it.

Anyway, I'll do $20 for the axle if you guys are going to help me do the swap. That'll cover me for gas up there and back. Sound good? I need buy a centering ball kit for my front D/S as that thing is extremely loud when the front shaft is spinning.

WholeLottaXJ said:
I'll take it. Let's pick a decently nice day on a weekend and make a day out of it. When would you want to do this?

Does it leak at all?

Sounds good. I can do it really whenever, I just need advance notice to make the trip up there if I don't have it planned already.

The only place I've seen it leak from is the filler hole bolt because I didn't tighten it down all the way. It's fine now though. The only problem that's left on it is the vacuum disco housing. So with your shafts and new seals for the 1 piece (not sure what's involved in that swap.. it's just 1 or 2 new seals from what I've seen browsing here) you'll be good.

So how does sometime in the next few weeks sound? I'm gonna keep an eye on the weather and let you know in advance on a good time to do it. It's not going in my truck just yet. I'm gonna give it a complete cleaning and gear it and stuff.

WholeLottaXJ said:
So how does sometime in the next few weeks sound? I'm gonna keep an eye on the weather and let you know in advance on a good time to do it. It's not going in my truck just yet. I'm gonna give it a complete cleaning and gear it and stuff.

Yah that's fine. Just give me a weekend and I'll get things setup. I am getting my replacement from my friend who lives nearby. I told her I'd call her when I want it dropped off at my place, or I will try to pick it up. Just let me know ahead of time. Thanks.

Back