• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1st Day of the Rest of My Life...

UnlimitedMatt

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Today starts the first day of my short lived Retirement. After 30 years of living off of the tit of the taxpayer, I went ahead and called it quits. Thankfully I can start drawing my pension next month.

The short lived part is because I am starting with a trucking company next week. I will be signing a year contract in exchange for training. After that I will see if I want to continue or find something local.

Since we are empty nesters, I am also hopeful that my wife will hop on the truck with me for short stints to see if she would be interested in going fulltime.

I am looking forward to finally doing something different! Being a child of the 70's, I was raised on crappy movies that made strong impressions on me. Between the trucking movies Convoy and Duel, I always wanted to be a truck driver. We'll see if my childhood dreams are just pipe dreams.

Congrats!

I've got (planned) 20 years until retirement at 55 :laugh:

Well, planned in that I don't "have" to work, but should hopefully be able to move to being a consultant or something under my own means and make the moolah.

Trucking seems like it could be fun, or really not :D

Congrats Matt!

Congratulations on your retirement , I've been retired for two years now loving it.

Congrats!

I've got (planned) 20 years until retirement at 55 :laugh:...

I just turned 50, so the idea of truly being retired at this age feels way too early. My wife said she will retire now as well but she is only 48. I told her at her age, she would just be considered unemployed. lol

I just turned 50, so the idea of truly being retired at this age feels way too early. My wife said she will retire now as well but she is only 48. I told her at her age, she would just be considered unemployed. lol

50 would be nice, but would still need "things" to do to keep my busy.

So I'd either spend too much money on traveling and such, or too much money on a shop/equipment etc. and make some side spending money that way :D

Driving a truck is nothing like the movies . Right now you could get your CDL and as long as you are not one of the guys who can't remember left from right you could get a hostler job at a handful of local companies in your area 15 minutes from your house .$25-30hr . Hostlers don't leave private property they don't deal with DOT or chaining on the mountains ;-)

Driving a truck is nothing like the movies . Right now you could get your CDL and as long as you are not one of the guys who can't remember left from right you could get a hostler job at a handful of local companies in your area 15 minutes from your house .$25-30hr . Hostlers don't leave private property they don't deal with DOT or chaining on the mountains ;-)
It takes a CDL to shag trailers now?

I know a guy who shags trailers at a local facility. He had to put an English/Spanish translator on his phone so he can communicate with the rest of the crew.

Congrats.....now remember the average guy lives two years after retirement. You better get busy and hit that bucket list.:wave1:

It takes a CDL to shag trailers now?

I know a guy who shags trailers at a local facility. He had to put an English/Spanish translator on his phone so he can communicate with the rest of the crew.

Most places want a CDL even shagging on private property . They fired A guy at my last company who was a mechanic because he had epilepsy and couldn't hold a license he only moved trucks into the bay and back out on the yard but he couldn't obtain a CDL due to his medical reasons so they booted him

Back