• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rubicon pics from this week.

Jes

NAXJA Memeber #293 URF Racing
NAXJA Member
Well, I think the group from Idaho had a great time. They did really well and only did some minor sheet metal damage. The weather was great and it was nice and quiet on the trail.
Andy and I headed up Sunday evening and ran into John Reynolds below the spillway at Loon. He was nice enough to let us drive his awesome tube buggie Bronco...
picture.JPG

...the thing was simple amazing. A very healthy V8, big tires, rear steer. Andy and I got a little carried away and when we finally brought the thing back John was like "Geeze, that was the longest test drive ever!" :D
We started the trail Monday morning and took our time seeing the sights. We got to Buck Island around 4:00. Andy took off for home while the rest of us set up camp and partook in some frosty beverages.
Tuesday we hiked over to the waterfall on the other side of Buck...
picture.JPG

...just a really beutiful and relaxing day.
On Wednesday we headed out and completed the trail.
Here's the pics I took... Pics

Jes

It was a good time.......and not a virgin sheep to be found after the Idaho group was through with 'em!

CRASH

Exactly, he wishes he was an Idahoan just to justify his love for the Rubicon Sheep :D

Jes had a driverside lower control arm mount that decided it wanted to seperate itself from the body/frame. I think he even mentioned the passenger side started to look funky toward the end of the trip.

Radius arm time :D

We saw those guys from Fat City at Fright Night in Hungry Valley SVRA a couple of years ago. We renamed them "Drunk City" after watching them repeatedly drive a rock buggy up and over an RTI ramp as fast as they could without spilling their beers, right in the middle of a busy campground.

Last edited:
you drove the JR's Fat City Bronco!?!?!:eek: :eek: :cool:

I am so frickin jealous! that thing is a piece of art. I would love to just see it in person and crawl underneath, but I think I would kill to drive it...

I hope you enjoyed it as much as I would have... did you do anything crazy with it?

Nothing crazy. Andy drove it through Gatekeeper and back out then I took it up a nice ledge. That thing is truly a work of art. The welds on it are beutiful and the craftsmanship is top notch. 9" center sections turned upside down to run backwards with MOG portals on the ends. Very creative!
For the record JR does not work for Fat City(I think he's a concert Oboeist? or maybe Chello?), he merely had Fat City build the rig for him.
Gary, as Dave said my LCA mounts at the frame were cracking off. Andy welded them up for me this weekend.

Jes

Jes said:
9" center sections turned upside down to run backwards with MOG portals on the ends.

Yes!! Those are my dream axles!

Jes said:
For the record JR does not work for Fat City(I think he's a concert Oboeist? or maybe Chello?), he merely had Fat City build the rig for him.

French horn ;)

Yep, big thanks to Jes and Crash, I had an awesome time. My rig even made the drive back home to Idaho without so much as a shimmy, after I spent some more time in CA of course. Anyway, all I had to do after the trail was yank my left front wheel off and pound it back into shape. Seems the inside lip caught a rock when I was hard on the gas trying to catch them sheep. Phat told me I could have all his beer if I could catch him one :D

I'm glad you guys had a good time.
I had a good time on Tuesday, when we sat by that waterfall for almost two hours.
I've done too much rushed wheeling lately, I gotta kick back once in a while.

Jes

Back