NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old May 13th, 2019, 16:11
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Joel's multipurpose XJ build (rocks/boulevard)

Few more pics...

Another shot of that slip 'n slide...

If your underside got too dirty, you could always go rinse off.

A few folks decided to drive the remainder of Mana Rd (~40 miles) to try to catch the sunset from the Mauna Kea summit. I warned folks the rangers might not let us up with muddy vehicles but apparently we'd rattled enough off on the way over (it transitions back to dry side in route) that they let us up.

View from the top was good but kinda cloudy.

Then suddenly the sun breaks through and the world turned insanely red. Like "Eye of Mordor" the world is one fire red...

Camera couldn't keep up with the color above, but this pic might give you a better idea.

So neat! Back at camp, much fireball was drunk, much meat was BBQ'ed. Let me tell you that a big Hawaiian man playing Adele's "Someone Like You" on a ukulele while folks sing along at the top of their lungs in the middle of nowhere? Yeah, good times indeed.

Maybe you had to be there but it was fun, I promise.

I'll close this round with a few shots of the main Mana Rd from the way back into town.

This island is rad.
-Joel
Old May 15th, 2019, 15:44
NAXJA Forum User

Arriving home from Mana Rd, I found I apparently wheeled hard enough to jam some wood in between my tire bead. I only dropped down to 18 psi or so, but there's a lot of throttle involved when you go wheeling deep in the woods. ;-)

Thought I got it all but actually managed to give myself a leak so I got to pull the tire and clean more thoroughly.

I also had a heck of filthy rig that I didn't want to just take a wash cloth to and scratch the hell out of everything so I also started researching pressure washers (duh!). Once upon a time a harbor freight "1400 psi" unit that died, but having been spoiled by a friend's big gas powered Dewalt while in SoCal I wanted something better--while staying electric for size and simplicity. Turns out there are metric ton of options, half of them look identical but perform differently, how you set them up matters (IE nozzle flow sizes), and ratings are only marginally meaningful since how manufacturers rate these things varies widely.

Don't know about you guys but with tools, I'd rather over-research and be sure I'm getting the right thing.

Findings:

If you really want to understand pressure washers the best resource I found was Obsessed Garage. They tested 50 some units to validate flow and pressure. You need both criteria to be effective. Here's the massive playlist.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...JVO3TF-K3fx99g

Obsessed Garage then sells upgrades for every common type of pressure washer to get max effectiveness out of any given unit.
https://www.obsessedgarage.com/colle...essure-washing

Brass tacks... I ordered the Greenworks 2000 psi variation sold via Lowes.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Greenworks-...her/1000731276

Here's a shortcut to the review of this specific machine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNPz...index=5&t=469s

I like that the unit has a stainless steel wand, a quality hose, uses generic interfaces (as opposed to proprietary versions), and generally punches above it's weight. I did not want the built in hose real as apparently those all suck. I did buy bigger 3.0 nozzles per G.O.'s recommendation but skipped the foam cannon and all the other adapter options.

A few other purchase recommendations:

I really dig the option to washer undercarriages so this was a big help and adapts fine to the end of the Greenworks wand.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K22DGRY/

Pressure washer specific soap. (Two "loads" per water tank gets a happy level of foamy IMHO)
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BMB48X0/

Pump protector (apparently a typical reason why washers fail)
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CNRSUJK/

So all that said, a week later and I was in business. It all works. My girls think it's a big game and are asking to use the thing.

...and here we are back to "boulevard" status for a run to the beach.

Anyways, hope the research helps some other folks.

Cheers y'all,
Joel
Old May 16th, 2019, 23:01
Associate

mud.... gross.
Old May 17th, 2019, 02:30
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockclimber View Post
mud.... gross.

That ain't mud, dat jungle puddin

Hawaii looks awesome btw, never knew they had any 4x4 stuff.

This has been an awesome thread, keep the jeep rollin!!!
Old July 3rd, 2019, 22:51
NAXJA Forum User

99% of the time I love our new home. It's unbelievably gorgeous on the Big Island, amazing weather/sunsets all the time, so many things to see and explore, a job where I'm getting to do some pretty neat work... Kinda a fairy tale as evidenced by the crazy rainbows we seem to get several times a week.

That being said, real-life smacked me in the face the other day and ended up in a bit of a fabrication saga.

A while back I mentioned something about Hawaii's safety check program, and guys running garden trim to get fender tire "coverage," right? Unfortunately, when I setup my jeep that way I don't have enough clearance for proper tire flex and I end up ripping the flares right off.

It seems like everybody else around here runs tire poke, so I figured when in Rome, and pulled all that stuff back off. I prefer my rig without fender flares anyways.

Turns out the Waimea police department does not agree with my preferences... :-(

Yep, it seems the locals can do whatever they want, but if you happen to be wearing a mainlander dress shirt on your way to work in a Jeep with some tire poke, that'll get you pulled over even if you are obeying the rest of the traffic laws.

The officer pulled me over as I was turning into the parking lot of my work as well, so naturally I'm sitting there getting a ticket the cop is parked right behind me lights flashing away. Several of my coworkers are walking in for the morning and waving at me. The heckling game was strong that morning. ;-)

4x traffic infractions, one per corner, $72 per tire for $288 fine. Ouchie...

So I break out my metal supplies and a tube bender I bought from a friend before leaving and figured what the heck, I'll try bending some flat fenders.

Testing out the machine I started by bending up a stack of FD trans mounts bars (aka, development efforts in work). I know I need a bigger garage, but it is expensive over here so when the time you have to work on it happens to be raining, you do your best.

That worked fine so it was time to try some multi plane bends. Hmmm.... This is going to be harder than I thought. Multiple bends end up being a tolerance nightmare. If you are a degree off on a bend and a degree off on rotation, the end result 5 feet later is damn hard to get exactly what you intended (much less replicated in a mirror image for the other side.)

It kind of looks okay but I'm not really that happy with it either, particularly as I compare side to side.

More to come (a lot more).
-Joel
Old July 5th, 2019, 05:49
NAXJA Forum User

Thumbs up Re: Joel's multipurpose XJ build (rocks/boulevard)

This has been an awesome thread to scroll through. thanks for sharing.
Old July 5th, 2019, 09:40
Degenerate Jeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by frijolee View Post
It seems like everybody else around here runs tire poke, so I figured when in Rome . . . .
I like a bowl of poke as much as the next guy, but I definitely prefer that it contain fresh seafood. Tire? Not so much.
Old July 5th, 2019, 10:05
NAXJA Forum User

Mmmmmm... Poke. You can get epic Ahi at Costco for about the price of steak. So good!

------------------------

In a rare move for me, I actually gave up a project part way through. As much as I wanted to be a bad ass and make my own custom custom stuff, I just decided that this was likely to be hard enough and time intensive enough that I was being an idiot and should just throw down for a set of Bushwhacker Flat Fenders. They look decent, they're light, and between time and materials it was looking like I was gonna have way more cost (or opportunity cost) making my custom ish...

So I pulled the trigger and bought them.

https://smile.amazon.com/Bushwacker-...dp/B003VR4CG2/

Amazon even had a coupon going and the $420 I spent didn't feel too bad vs my $288 ticket, plus fitment looked to be pretty spot on.

Result: fitment WOULD be spot on... If you were starting from a stock Jeep, but I'm not.

The fronts might find the don't have some sheetmetal anymore.

The fender line looks decent up front.

But that rear fender you kissed with a tire in the whoops that's not quite perfect? Yep, that gap is almost guaranteed to suck dirt...

You'll have to trim for your welded rockers too, but that's not a big deal...

But now we reach the deal breaker: Bushwackers are not compatible with cut and fold rear quarters.

No way I can live with this hanging off that far and now way to plug this in a manner that will last, look good and not suck mud.

I was prepared to weld back in some interfaces to allow these to mount (my fender lips having been trimmed and massaged before), but I just plain missed the whole "Bushwackers no likey the cut and fold bit".

Busted... So back they go. When return shipping only cost me $25 (if I'd shipped this on my own I guess close to $150) I made the call and back they went.

Sigh, looks like custom fab after all. Not the project I wanted to be working on.

-Joel
Old July 5th, 2019, 11:28
Stranger

Dang if that doesn't sound like my life. Decide to try the easy way out for once and get bit in the rear for it. And people wonder why I just pick the most difficult path from the get-go.

Baby it's cold outside.
Old July 6th, 2019, 16:43
NAXJA Forum User

Anak, glad to hear it's not just me...

----------------

So here's the kinda tolerances-killing-me crap I was talking about:

Measure where you think the bend wants to be but you come up short. Learn from your mistake and you can make your other side properly, but now you either scrap tube or deal with the mismatch or something.

Dammit, I will not be defeated by metal fab! I am learning as I go, but you know what, this isn't really that structural apart so I'm just going to cut and weld this bastard to make it do what I want it to.

V groove bevel weld just about all the way through the thickness... That's as close to a CJP (complete joint penetration) weld as I can do simply. It's not really structural so I just can't bring myself to sleeve this internally like I might on a chassis repair.

Much closer...

For frame interfaces I learned my lesson on the slugs that hardened on me so I figured I could go the other way and pre tap some plate that I'd them match drill and tap the rest of the way through.

Problem is that it been so windy working on the driveway I can barely get these to tack, much less get a weld I trust. Up front I finally cave and pull off the bumper attachment plates so I can bench weld them.

Still don't know how I can burn the rears in though. That bit of steel isn't removable and I need to move a ton of stuff (including a non running Land Cruiser), if I'm going to pull this into the garage.

By the way, I should probably mention that when you bring a vehicle to the island, you have 30 days to do a safety check for your new registration. I'm assuming that's how long I have to get these fenders flares installed and the clock is ticking...
Old July 7th, 2019, 13:22
NAXJA Forum User

I'm taking my kids to school every day so still driving the Jeep. Figure my ticket should give me a few weeks of immunity. Nope, I get flagged down at a traffic stop and given ANOTHER ticket. Another $288. Same cop. The guy wouldn't cut me a break even thought it had only been 28 days (not the 30 I thought I'd have).

His take: "28 days is enough." My take, "Here's the pics of what I'm working on, it wasn't long enough for me!"

He reminds me of the garden trim thing... I don't WANT to run garden trim. I'll just be taking it on and off a hundred times to continue progress. Super frustrating, but I can't exactly pick a fight with a cop. Even a complaint to his Sergeant could easily go bad as and I sure don't want to be targeted in a small town...

Nothing to do but stay the course. We're down to the last week of school so at least my wife can drive the kids in and I have my RX7 to fall back on... So now the Jeep is sitting in my driveway not moving.

The wind is unrelenting though. I finally decided to pull the Jeep most of the way into the garage (partly shielded) and MIG weld weld the rear interfaces.

It's burned in but you can tell where the breeze caught me on the left side of the circle. Whatever, it'll hold.

Back to tube work, it's a game of fractions of inches but I'm winning.

You know things like cutting off the tacked brackets shimming tube with some weld filler rod and re tacking with 1 degree different clicking.

Then naturally it's starts raining on all my raw steel.

I need a bigger garage... This is some bullshit.
-Joel
Old July 7th, 2019, 13:53
NAXJA Forum User

This might help you if you havent seen these before. Make yourself some cheater bends so you know how much pipe you need and how much distance should be between each bend.

Part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n_lf2RHIPs

Part 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ta_c3hMqpgA
Old July 7th, 2019, 17:19
NAXJA Forum User

You are an inspiration
Old July 9th, 2019, 11:05
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoJared View Post
This might help you if you havent seen these before. Make yourself some cheater bends so you know how much pipe you need and how much distance should be between each bend.

Part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n_lf2RHIPs

Part 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ta_c3hMqpgA
Thanks. I need to finish those. I was bending on a 3.5 CLR and had some sample bits lying around that we're 7" OD. Figured I should be able to eyeball the bed start position by locating tangency on each straight I cared about. Theory seemed ok but still missed a few by the better part of an inch.

Then when you're bending in multiple planes I had a few that were crashing into the bender stand... Maybe I could have done a middle bend at the end but then you really need to be precise with the location and clocking of every other step.

It was just hard. Ended up ok but damn...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanael View Post
You are an inspiration
For the ability to get stubborn and borderline OCD? Hahaha. Well thanks.

I once came up with the theory that being an effective car guy is all about the ability to overcome the hurdles... That bolt you snapped off, the part that didn't fit as intended, the brake line you smoked welding, etc etc etc. We've all been there.
Old July 9th, 2019, 11:07
NAXJA Forum User

Each tube ended up having a 5th bend to hit the frame where I need to hit it. Half bevel groove on these showing the full thickness bevel (and damn near CJP on the splice inboard which is cool).

I tacked these on the rig (one evening with minimal wind) then burned in the plates on the bench.

Capped the ends because I could. Used a hole saw in wood to guide the steel hole saw cut on the OD without needing a pilot drill.

That was some time intensive tube.

I also bought a couple big rivet nut drivers. To date m6 was a big as I could set. These go to m12 and by getting two I have a fall back if I failed one.

Two very different companies (or so it looks online) that seem to be made in the exact same factory.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B073VK3B7S

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07MBWXLR4

Kinda stoked on the speed release feature of the 14" version and the power available by the 16" handles.

Finally getting into the skins for these things. Kind proud of how this worked out. By making a tight fitting paper doll I could then do a crayon rubbing to get an ideal fit vs the tubes.

This is how you transfer to metal when each template is 50-51" long and your steel is only 48" wide. Much cleaning with a stripper disc prior to this to get the major rust off this 16 guage plate.

When you're stuck working on something you'd rather not (and twice over bitter for a pair of tickets that locals don't seem to get) it's good to pause and admire a sunset or two.

I'm now rocking both Milwaukee's metal cutting circular saws. The battery version is my go to when I need something quick that doesn't fit on my band saw. Nothing moves metal like the big dog corded guy when needed.