NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old May 2nd, 2019, 19:34
NAXJA Forum User

Re: LA kit

Both kits have removable center section, so that's a plus.

I really wish they would get installed pics for the 4 link, I want to see where the exhaust ends up on the cross member. I've gotta replace that insulator and don't want to have to redo it for it not fitting.
Old May 7th, 2019, 11:20
NAXJA Forum User

What do you all think about the angle differences of kits the mount the arms from the cross member vs kits that mount in front of the cross plate?

Seems like lost real estate when trying to keep Arms as flat as possible.
Old May 7th, 2019, 17:48
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4JeePmaNthINg View Post
What do you all think about the angle differences of kits the mount the arms from the cross member vs kits that mount in front of the cross plate?

Seems like lost real estate when trying to keep Arms as flat as possible.
I would think it really depends on your intended use — if you’re just looking to improve the stock configuration moderate off-road use then it shouldn’t matter

On the other hand — hardcore off-road use and maximum flex then I would say the longer the better

Are you thinking of 4 linking the rear too?
Old May 8th, 2019, 10:05
NAXJA Forum User

as a very loose rule of thumb, longer is better. but there is more to it...

as you go longer, you also need to inboard the chassis side mounts more to keep the tires off of the control arms. this inboarding really has no effect on geometry as you are not relying on the control arms to do locate the axle laterally, only fore/aft (assuming we arent talking triangulated).

as you go longer, material selection becomes important. i bent 2x.25 DOM with a 36" eye to eye measurement using heims. you can use this calculator to look at the safety factor for a defined material at a given length and load. https://www.roguefab.com/tube-calculator/

the one big advantage of the longest possible link is that it gives you the least amount of fore/aft movement of the axle during articulation. if you are only using a few inches of suspension travel (think on road use of the stock suspension), this fore/aft movement is negligible. start talking extreme articulation... and it becomes more pronounced.

which brings me to the last point... ideally you want the arm flat at the middle of your suspension travel. not ride height, but suspension travel. this give you the absolute least amount of fore/aft movement, for any given length. now, most cherokees end up with more droop than compression. but you arent going to (typically) fit a link that is lower on the frame side mount at ride height. so... MMMMYYYY recommendation is no more than 10 degrees from horizontal at ride height. this should give you a pretty good balance for on road use. and when you are into the range of the suspension travel that the link really starts pulling the tires rearward... you arent in an on road situation.
Old May 11th, 2019, 11:31
NAXJA Forum User

Iron Rock offroad forsure. I've have nothing but good things to say about the kit. My XJ has their 3 link kit. Its currently on 37's and tons (03 f350 dana60 up front). No issues at all so far. In fact I just picked up some 39.5 to throw on. I haven't had any problems with the links or joints now I am running a artec truss with a JJ up top. I do just grease them regularly. Clearance/Flex is awesome with this kit and i dont even run a big lift only 4.5". If you have any question about the kit just pm me. I'll be more then happy to answer anything you gotta ask.