• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Coolant temp. sensor

RyleyF

NAXJA Forum User
I'm in the process of swapping a '98 4.0 into my 91. My 91 has the coolant temp. sensor at the back of the head and the 98 doesn't have the threaded hole in the head for the sensor. Is there a way I can make my temp. gauge work without having to drill and tap the new head?

The Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor is at the front of the valve cover. In the thermostat housing, next to the hose that goes to the heater.
Walt

The 98 head will not be drilled for the engine coolant temperature SENDER. The newer engines use the coolant temperature sensor for the gauge and data to the computer.

I know that, I need to know what I can do to make my temp. gauge functional on my '91 without having to drill and tap the head, something that I'm not too keen on doing. I was thinking about drilling and tapping the thermostat housing instead, putting it right next to the coolant temp sensor, will that work?

You've already figured out your options. Drilling and tapping for the sender would be the correct fix but it's a lot less risky to drill and tap the thermostat housing. Another option is to put it into the coolant hose, but then you need to add a ground. People have done all of these.

ehall said:
You've already figured out your options. Drilling and tapping for the sender would be the correct fix but it's a lot less risky to drill and tap the thermostat housing. Another option is to put it into the coolant hose, but then you need to add a ground. People have done all of these.

Yeah,drill and tap the t-stat housing then just extend your wire from the the back.I've done this and it works fine.

frank36 said:
Yeah,drill and tap the t-stat housing then just extend your wire from the the back.I've done this and it works fine.

You drilled the flat round spot right next to the bolt on the tstat housing correct? Thats where I was going to put it, just making sure there isn't anything behind it that the sensor would hit, I haven't had a chance to take it apart and look at it yet.

RyleyF said:
You drilled the flat round spot right next to the bolt on the tstat housing correct? Thats where I was going to put it, just making sure there isn't anything behind it that the sensor would hit, I haven't had a chance to take it apart and look at it yet.

Yep,thats the right place.

Make sure the wires coming off the sender don't run into the fan blades. You don't have to worry about the wire getting sucked into the fan since the air movement goes the other way, but if the wire is up in there it will get hit.

Back