• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how do I find and dry out my throttle position sensor on 90 xj

lapaul

NAXJA Forum User
My 90 xj won't shift out of first. Was fine when I parked it. It rained a lot and now can't shift out of first. Had problem before. Was told it was wet throttle position sensor. Eventually it dried out and worked.

I don't want to wait weeks for it to dry out. Where is the darn thing. And can I take a hair dryer or something to dry it out.

Any links with pictures. My chilton and Haynes don't seem to be of help.

Dude, its right on the throttle body front, to the right of the Idle Air Controller(IAC). Dont know about drying it out, if you do a search for TPS or throttle position sensor, there is probably a thousand pages of info on it here.

Cory

You might be able to just dry it out,dunno never had to try.Here is a link for your TPS info,it has pics and some good info for later use so add to your favorites.We get a little rain here in Oregon cant say puddles have messed with my tps but it sure didnt like power washing before I knew about water and the tps dont mix.After 2nd time power washing,stuck in first gear.

Heres the link: http://members.tripod.com/BillyXJ/SENSORS1/index.html

Ok I found it, next question is can I fix it or do I have to get a new one.

What do I need to do to try to fix assuming it got wet,.

If you followed the adjustment procedure with a volt meter in that link above and it still dont work then its probably toast.Im pretty sure there not rebuildable.Dont really need a dealer one most auto parts stores stock them,autozone is around $60.00.You need to keep water away from this sensor its to sensitive to shorting,mainly the part that tells your tranny when to shift.Good luck with it.

You can squirt it down with WD-40, might work, might not.....

WD-40 stands for Water Displacement, (40th formula). It's good for parts that have gotten wet, and also leaves a light lube film behind.

Back