• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

leaking fuel injectors,i think?

dolemite

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 88 w/ 4.0l and the fuel rail/injectors are leaking i cant tell if its the injector its self i though it might be the o-rings replaced those and it still drips so iam in the assumtion that the injectors are leaking so if anyone has had this problem(or heard of) let me know a fix thanks :mad:

Since you tried new o-rings, and it didn't fix it, then it most definitely is the injectors. 80's-early 90 injectors are known for leaking. If you don't mind the trumped up prices, you can buy them new. OR....you can get some used ones (ebay has them sometimes). Another option are ford #19 (orange tops). They are a small upgrade, but are also alot easier to find.

It could well by your injectors. One OEM on my '87 began to leak between the plastic housing sections so I replaced them all with Ford Motorsports injectors right away. Leaking fuel is not something to mess around with. We have had members lose their vehicles to engine fires from leaking injectors. Total replacement is not a cheap answer but it's the safest course of action when they start to go.

thanks for the replies i think iam goin to have to replace the injectors does anyone know what the stock poundegg is. the part between the plastic and metal is where its leaking. can you find those ford #19 (orange tops) in the junk yard?

Last edited:
you might find them in the j-yard if your lucky. most places around here pull things like that so people wont walk off with them.....they are on late 80's mustangs i think. Great part is, you can usually get a set of 8 so you will have 2 spares :)

well i did some surfin and found a list for ford 19# injectors here it is
Ford 92-95 4.6 V-8 Crown Vic
Ford 96-02** 4.6 V-8 Mustang
Ford 95-96 4.6 T'bird
Ford 96-98 4.6 Crown Vic
Ford 97-00 5.4 Truck, Expedi.
Ford 86-95 5.0/5.8L V-8
Ford Truck 5.0/5.8L EFI-MPI V-8
Ford 93-96 4.0 Explorer
Ford 90-95 4.0 Aerostar
Ford 90-92 4.0 Expl/Ranger
Ford 93-94 4.0 Ranger
1996 4.0 Aero/Ranger
Mazda Navajo 4.0
1996-99 3.8 Windstar
1997-99 3.8 Mustang

this is according to a fuel injector web site correct me if iam wrong

Dunno, email this guy-- he'll know:
[email protected]

dolemite said:
well i did some surfin and found a list for ford 19# injectors here it is
Ford 92-95 4.6 V-8 Crown Vic
Ford 96-02** 4.6 V-8 Mustang
Ford 95-96 4.6 T'bird
Ford 96-98 4.6 Crown Vic
Ford 97-00 5.4 Truck, Expedi.
Ford 86-95 5.0/5.8L V-8
Ford Truck 5.0/5.8L EFI-MPI V-8
Ford 93-96 4.0 Explorer
Ford 90-95 4.0 Aerostar
Ford 90-92 4.0 Expl/Ranger
Ford 93-94 4.0 Ranger
1996 4.0 Aero/Ranger
Mazda Navajo 4.0
1996-99 3.8 Windstar
1997-99 3.8 Mustang

this is according to a fuel injector web site correct me if iam wrong

Yes, by all means replace the injectors. They are known to leak at the metal/plastic seam. You will also need to buy two "coupling repair kits" from the Jeep dealer. They run $15 each. You will have to fish out the old O rings and spacer before you insert the repair kit.

Also had a buddy find an online catalog which lists by vehicle which injector then cross references them so you can look to find the right injectors off another vehicle. This is kind of like the Holander Interchange manual for injectors. It confirms you can use 5.0 mustang injectors.

This is a PDF so only click on the link if you want to download the manual http://www.tomco-inc.com/Catalog/23fuel injectors - port.pdf

You will see for the Renix XJs the Tomco P/N for 15505, you then use the table in the back to find out what other engines use the 15505.

martin said:
Yes, by all means replace the injectors. They are known to leak at the metal/plastic seam. You will also need to buy two "coupling repair kits" from the Jeep dealer. They run $15 each. You will have to fish out the old O rings and spacer before you insert the repair kit.

What is the coupling repair kit needed for? I am having the same problem with my 87 XJ.....

Replace them now before you become a zippo lighter! Already happened to others on this board. The original injectors on the pre 91 are 18.6 IIRC. The ford 19lbs are the way to go. Get some recent takeoffs or get the fordmotorsport ones w. a better spray pattern from summitracing.com. Fiveomotorsports also has good prices. http://www.fiveomotorsport.com/
Greg

Back