• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

aw4 burning smell?

ttms91xj

NAXJA Forum User
hi all
up at silver lake last weekend i hit a mud pit pretty hard (stupid newbie mistake), and noticed something different with my tranny temps and smell. my tranny has never operated over 100 degrees on the tranny temp gauge before(autometer tranny temp gauge installed past july05). now it likes to bounce around between 100 and 150. also, after the mud hole, i started climbing the hills and noticed a burning smell, which didnt smell like antifreeze or engine oil...did i screw something up with my tranny, or am i just being paranoid? thanx for the help
p.s.
got the tranny flushed, and it still operates between 100 and 150, but no burning smell

Is there mud and crap stuck to the tranny cooler?

i checked the cooler, and that was clean(brand new b&m cooler). also, the tranny does shift incredibly smoothly. i was just wondering if the smell was just the fluid burning a little, or maybe the torque converter complaining?

the dipstick did smell a little, and after i replaced the fluid, it smelled alright...i'm guessing since it did have really old fluid in it that the fluid just broke down completely...

Back