• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Progressive coils-opinions?!?!

rockjockphatts

NAXJA Forum User
Anybody have any opinions on progressive rate springs over straight-rate coils? I'm looking to get GC springs for my XJ and it seems that progressive or variable rate springs seem to be cheaper than straight-rate coils, any particular reason for this? Should I avoid them?

Thanks,
John

Not really sure what is BETTER...

But the progressive rate coils, as far as I know, the only difference is, is that the more they are compressed, the higher the spring rate gets. If you'll notice the coils are more tightly wound the further down on the coil.

I'm using some 3" HD single rate coils but I have some 6" progressive rate coils to put in yet.

Progressive coils give a smoother ride amongst other things. I'd get progressive or dual rate over single rate for most applications.

For street use, they will yield greater roll angles as you enter the turn until you reach steady state cornering. This could result in the vehicle feeling loose.

Off road, I could see it as being either a postive or a negative, depending on the terrain, speed etc.

I've never used them on a vehicle with a high center of gravity (i.e. truck). For small cars with a high sprung to unsprung weight ratio, they can provide better overall ride :)

I used a set from CarQuest and they rode great. (in combo with urethane swaybar bushings, Kevin's TB, RE/Currie arms, and stiff "white-brand" gas-charged shocks...)

I ended up shelving them for some lifted springs, but kept them and would run use again for a low-to-no lift application.

No idea about the Jeep but I swapped the constant rate coils on my Cadillac for some progressive rate coils and the ride is much better, the rear-end doesn't sag as much when I load it down, and it's a little bit higher too.

Back