• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need Help FAST!!!!!!!!!

I don't have any perfect pictures but here are several '98 4.0s, hopefully you can figure it out.
cherokee%20tom%20(21).JPG

cherokee%20tom%20(19).JPG

IMG_4794.jpg

13_12_s.JPG

webimage001m.jpg

Firing Order - 15 too young, 36 too old, 24 just right. Don't shoot the messenger ;)

check this out, kinda already said and helped, but evey cherokee that ive worked on had this to help out with Oh Sh|t cases like this, (especially when you swamp your engine and get crap in your distributor on the trail, and decide to clean it to keep your rig from idling funny)
http://www.geocities.com/opiebennett/cherokeefire.html

good ol hydro-ing your engine!

Well now he just has to find TDC to determine which terminal on the dist cap is for cylinder #1.

Top Dead Center is when the piston in the #1 cylinder (front of the engine) is at the very top of its stroke. You have to turn the engine over by hand while keeping a finger in the spark plug hole for the #1 cylinder. When you feel pressure (like a burp), you should be near TDC. Look at the timing mark and it should be pointing to "0" on the tab. Then you have to see which terminal of the cap the rotor is pointing at. That will be the #1 cylinder. Then the wiring will be easy.

Is this right guys? The last time I had to determine TDC was on a small block Chevy.

philsxj said:
please refer to post #3
That's too easy. :D So the # 1 terminal is ALWAYS next to the cap screw? Oh well... Like I said, I'm used to Chevy engines.

I had the firing order figured out (sorry about not posting that part, I was in a hurry and it was getting dark fast), I just needed to find a pic of how the wires had been routed on those retainers. I put the MPP 7.5 mm wires on and wires #3 and #4 were giving me a headache trying to route them. Those two didn't seem to be routed as easily as I remember them on the '94 ZJ I used to have, plus I pulled them all off before drawing out a diagram of wire placement in those looms. I have them pretty close to where they should be (thanks Blair, it's appreciated), and it works great. I just didn't want any more near disasters yesterday, Mom's van caught fire when Dad and I took it to the Public Storage facility they're renting from to drop some stuff off. Luckily that was nothing big, other than the tow truck required to tow the thing home, and Dad thinks he might be able to fix the cooked wires and make it usable for a little while longer (It's a 1987 Chevy Beauville G-20 with only 160K or so on the clock)!

Back