• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Roof rack questions?

96country

NAXJA Forum User
I have been looking at the Surco roof racks and want to know if you can remove the factory roof rack bars, and use the 50 x 60 rack with rain gutter mounts? How do you remove the bars?

Also, where to buy and get the best deal? So far I found it for $209 with free shipping. Is that as good as it gets or do I need to keep looking.

Thanks

The deal you found is a great deal. Removing the factory cross rails is easy. The runners are the not that hard to take off but will leave holes in the roof to fill and paint. I would just remove the cross bars and leave the runners on to save you the headach of dealing with the holes. Juice

The Surco is a nice rack. That sounds like a good deal. I don't know that you will find any other at a significantly lower price.

To remove the cross rails, you'll need a torx driver (a T20 I think) to remover the plastic end caps on the factory roof mounted rails. Then slide the cross rails off the end.

I left mine on and used them as addition bracing for my spare tire.

RR3

DSCN0150.JPG

Surco at Quadratec.

I installed a Surco 50x60" safari-rack. I wanted to use the existing factory roof rails, so I bought the Kargomaster rack mounts for the jeep w/factory rack rails. I really like the setup: Rack = $180, Spare Tire attachment for rack = $50 and Kargomaster Brackets = $50. That was the cheapest setup I could find.
Surco products are from Quadratec and Kargomaster brackets from the Sportsrack. You have to do a little custom drilling to get the surco rack to fit on the kargomaster brackets, but it's 20 mins worth of work.

does the $209 include the gutter mounts? if not, shop on. check summit. they have really good geals on surco racks. i think surco is the best overall rack for the price as long as you know what you're getting. it's lightweight aluminum mith minimum floor, but for the price you can't beat it.

matthew

Back