• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WIRING HARNESS QUESTION????????

uscgjeep1277

NAXJA Forum User
The connection of the wiring harness under the hood to where it plugs into the fire wall at the back of the fuse block, is that connection supposed to be filled with black grease?

thanks,
92' cherokee 4.0:wow:

That dried up black goop started out as dielectric grease to keep water out of the connector and keep the contacts from corroding. Clean it out with a suitable solvent that won't dissolve the plastic and repack it with new silicon grease, or ox-guard.

And yeah, posting the same question in multiple threads is poor etiquette.

lawsoncl said:
That dried up black goop started out as dielectric grease to keep water out of the connector and keep the contacts from corroding. Clean it out with a suitable solvent that won't dissolve the plastic and repack it with new silicon grease, or ox-guard.

And yeah, posting the same question in multiple threads is poor etiquette.

Hallo Jeeper. Watch out with Ox Guard. This is not a dielectric grease, but a conductive one! It is possible that you get a short.
.:lecture:

Last edited:
wolfpackjeeper said:
you really dont need to post the same question two or 3 times. It is sunday afternoon, expect traffic to be a bit slower

x2 and what he said, clean and repack!

wim hoppenbrouwers said:
Hallo Jeeper. Watch out with Ox Guard. This is not a dielectric grease, but a conductive one! It is possible that you get a short.

Never heard of it? Thanks for the tip, I will look into that one!

wim hoppenbrouwers said:

Good catch. Many of the electrical anti-oxidation greases are indeed conductive, having copper or zinc powder in the grease. I didn't think that Ox-Guard was one of the ones that was conductive. I took a quick look in the garage and couldn't find my tube to check it though, but in hind-sight I think it probably is.

Back