NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old March 25th, 2020, 13:45
NAXJA Forum User

Kill switches and electricity

Hey guys, lots of XJ thefts around here lately so I am attempting to install a kill switch.

First hurdle is understanding relays. Can the switch circuit and the accessory circuit, within the relay, be powered by the same source? Or do I need a low-voltage/low-amperage source for the switch circuit (so as not to burn out my switch), and another high-voltage/high-amperage source for the accessory?
Old March 25th, 2020, 14:37
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Kill switches and electricity

The idea behind a relay is to keep you from running high amperage through a switch. This means you can use lower gauge wires, the switch can be located further away from the power source, etc etc.

With all that in mind, your battery/alternator provides a 12V power source - that's where you're gonna power your relay from and where you're gonna power whatever device the relay is interrupting. If you've got a fancy lit switch, that 12 volts are gonna power that too.
Old March 25th, 2020, 14:51
NAXJA Forum User

Thanks @essvee.

So as I understand it, because everything is powered by the same battery/alternator, I can use the same power line to power both circuits in a relay (accessory & switch circuits).

My next question is how do I figure out the amperage rating required for the switch? I have some switches here that are rated to .5 amps. This number seems too low, but is it?
Old March 25th, 2020, 15:47
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BALTANAKT View Post
Thanks @essvee.

So as I understand it, because everything is powered by the same battery/alternator, I can use the same power line to power both circuits in a relay (accessory & switch circuits).

My next question is how do I figure out the amperage rating required for the switch? I have some switches here that are rated to .5 amps. This number seems too low, but is it?

Yes, in fact that's probably the simplest way to do it. Then you only need to run a single wire to the switch, the switch will then connect it to ground. The coil in the relay isn't going to pull more a 0.02 amps so 0.5 amps in more than plenty.
Old April 4th, 2020, 16:48
NAXJA Forum User

Thanks Lawson!

Next Q: Is 16ga wire acceptable for the current running the fuel pump?

Main reason I ask is because I've read some threads that say Jeep actually used 16ga *and* 14ga for the pump circuit. And 16ga being what I have on hand, it would be convenient.
Old April 4th, 2020, 19:22
NAXJA Forum User

2000 FSM shows the wire to the fuel pump from the relay is 16-guage. You could put your switch inline with the wire that controls the existing fuel pump relay.