NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old October 10th, 2018, 15:19
NAXJA Member

Re: 3" Lift what do you need?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Mayercik View Post
Just remember, cheap lit kits are cheap for a reason.

I went OME, and have never regretted it - got 15 years out of that 2inch kit before I finally killed one of the leaves, and I got into (and out of) a LOT of stuff with that kit. Always rode and flexed great. When the springs finally did die, I stuck with OME (though I did go from the 2-inch medium-duty stuff to the heavy-duty (which got me a little more height) this time.
Where do you get OME 2" lifts these days? I only can 3" lifts available.
Old October 11th, 2018, 12:06
NAXJA Member #920

I bought my 2-inch OME kit in 2005, so not sure. Was XJ medium-duty springs at the time.

About a year ago was when I got what I thought was the OME 2" heavy-load version, and got about 4" out of the rear. Had to dial my ACOS out a bit to level it, even with the matching front coils (I run a cradle winch on trails, so wanted to reduce sag).

Used to be around here I'd see people say to contact Dirk at DPG for OME stuff, but that was a while ago.

3" OME wouldn't be a bad choice either. I ran my old 2" kit with spacers and 1" lift shackles for 4-5 years before the replacement last year and it was perfectly stable on-road.
Old October 13th, 2018, 08:28
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:

Used to be around here I'd see people say to contact Dirk at DPG for OME stuff, but that was a while ago.
That's still very good advice. Dirk is a great resource ... he'll steer you in the right direction.
Old October 15th, 2018, 09:33
Freakish Hand Strength

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastorTroy View Post
this chart is widely considered to be accurate
In my opinion it is mostly correct. At 3 - 4 inches of lift one should be installing, or saving for, an SYE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjeeper

I'm starting to realize people on the Jeep forums are highly expert mechanics .....

Last edited by Tim_MN; October 15th, 2018 at 17:26.
Old October 15th, 2018, 15:16
NAXJA Member #920

Interesting - I'm sitting at what I think is 4.5 now, and I just have a 1" tcase drop and the original driveshafts. Then again, I have a '92...
Old October 15th, 2018, 17:27
Freakish Hand Strength

Quote:
.... I have a '92...
Pre 1996 are more tolerant of increased drive line angle due to suspension lift kits.

Quote:

I'm starting to realize people on the Jeep forums are highly expert mechanics .....
Old October 16th, 2018, 12:49
NAXJA Member #920

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_MN View Post
Pre 1996 are more tolerant of increased drive line angle due to suspension lift kits.
Very true.
Old October 16th, 2018, 15:51
NAXJA Member

brake lines are not necessary at 3". unbolt the brackets to give them more room.
Old October 17th, 2018, 00:32
NAXJA Member

Yeah, I think I've decided to keep it to 2". Highway performance is important to me and I've got other bills to pay instead of investing in what it would take for that 1 more inch.

The only OME kit I could find was this: https://www.quadratec.com/products/76090_800.htm. Which looks like more like a 3" kit.

I think I'll do the BDS Suspension 2" lift, they seem to have a good rep. It is an AAL though. Can I buy OEM leaf packs and add a leaf to those to get effectively fresh leaf packs? Should I get Medium or Standard Duty Leafs? I do have a heavy bumper on the back, so maybe I want Standard.

Also, BDS has an optioon for a "Anti-Sway Bar Link Kit" for an additional $85, is that worth it on a 2" lift?

Thanks for the help.
Old October 17th, 2018, 13:51
NAXJA Forum User

Upcountry Leaf Springs: 1" lift
Shackle Relocation Brackets: 3/4" - 1" lift
OEM Shackles: 0" Lift

or

Standard Leaf springs: 0" lift
Lift Shackles: 1.25"

The rear suspension will ride vastly better than anything that still utilizes the stock shackle mounting location. Either way, the leaf springs can be ordered from any parts store in the country, which is a nice benefit in my opinion. I'm on Upcountry leafs (755# from the below) and it rides amazingly well. For $130 (for the good ones), SRBs are worth every penny.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/oem...pinions-81004/

Longer sway bar links for the front are available stock on other vehicles, so paying that kind of money for a fixed link kit is a waste IMO. If it were disconnectable links, then it would be of benefit when offroading if you're so inclined to fuss with them before and after doing so.

IMO, you will have to piece together a kit to get the best solution available to you.
Old October 18th, 2018, 10:54
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Malcolm View Post
Upcountry Leaf Springs: 1" lift
OEM Shackles: 0" Lift

or

Standard Leaf springs: 0" lift
Lift Shackles: 1.25"

The rear suspension will ride vastly better than anything that still utilizes the stock shackle mounting location. Either way, the leaf springs can be ordered from any parts store in the country, which is a nice benefit in my opinion. I'm on Upcountry leafs (755# from the below) and it rides amazingly well. For $130 (for the good ones), SRBs are worth every penny.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/oem...pinions-81004/

Longer sway bar links for the front are available stock on other vehicles, so paying that kind of money for a fixed link kit is a waste IMO. If it were disconnectable links, then it would be of benefit when offroading if you're so inclined to fuss with them before and after doing so.

IMO, you will have to piece together a kit to get the best solution available to you.
So you think I should just get Shackle Relocation and a 1" Coil spacer to just add 1" to my already 1" Upcountry to get to 2". I was willing to spend the money to just replace the springs, but I like how the shackle relocation kit is adjustable: https://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-xj...-kit-1117.html

Are there any downsides to going down this route? Do I really lose anything with the 1" coil spacer and the shackle relocation? Doesn't seem like I lose much
Old October 18th, 2018, 14:10
NAXJA Forum User

I prefer the HD Offroad Engineering bolt-on version myself but either style would work. New coils would be better than spacers. You'll need to adjust the pinion angle via tapered shims between the axle and the leafs, same as with any lift shackle. With stock shackles, you will 100% have to remove the remaining holes behind the one you end up using to give the shackle room to move. The other issue will be the exhaust. Both the upper and lower shackle bolts will now be below the bottom of the frame rail. Your tailpipe likely goes through that area now. I just cut my tailpipe short and added a turn down right in front of it all. It technically does not exit beyond the body-line of the vehicle, but it's right at the back of the hatch, so it can be argued if your mechanic is a rule nazi.

Downsides? It's softer than it otherwise would be. Upcountry springs are rated at ~750#. That's 750#/in of displacement in a standard bending test. The actual geometry when installed affect how stiff it actually is. I absolutely require bumpstopping. You may be able to get away without it. Other than that, I'm at a loss to provide you with any other downside to them. It's not a simple bolt-on to install them but the smooth as butter ride is worth every bit of it, especially vs an add-a-leaf bouncing around the corners. My first XJ came with AALs and white bodies. Never again.
Old October 19th, 2018, 04:05
Freakish Hand Strength

You lift choices depend on your wants/needs, future lift plans, and your budget. Other than reducing the total coil spring travel, I find no downside to coil spacers. I have had excellent results with full length Add-A-Leaf, homebrewed bastard spring packs and JKS extended shackles. I have been to Moab several times and have not had any performance or durability issues with any of them. There are some brands of lift kit products and shocks that I would not buy.

Quote: