• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power Distribution Center Fuses??

gte636p

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a little bit of a problem, mainly a 5.6 amp draw from the battery with nothing on in the car that happened to show up last night. When I remove the smaller fuses from the power distribution center the draw drop to 1.3 amps. It's still very high, but is much less than 5.6 amps. Is there anyway to find out where these fuses go on a '98??

Also, any suggestions on the culprit would be nice. I've been doing alot of elctrical work over the last week (wiring in front and back driving lamps, inverter, remote start, and extended idle switches). Everything worked great, no problems what so ever until I took the extended idle switch apart to get the illumination figured out. After that point all I get is the motor turning over with a hard stop on the starter (once that happens I got nothing in the car). All accessories stop working in the run position as well. There are no ontact in the swotch, so theproblem is not witin the extended idle switch itself. The remote start has not been tach learned yet, and is currently disconnected. The extended idle switch was put in by tapping into the blue wire of an unused fog lamp harness and connecting it to pcm12. When I swapped out the battery to one from my CJ it started right up. Literally 20 seconds later I could not get the starter to turn over. All installed electronics from the last week have been completely disconnected from the battery with no change in symptoms. Any suggestions??

Also, the starter is less than 2 months old. I "think" it might be the starter again, but the massive current draw is suggesting it's something else.

There's no "fuse guide" printed on the cover itself? For deeper troubleshooting, you're going to want wiring diagrams - but for the "surface-level" stuff you're working on now, you should be able to find the information you need on the vehicle proper.

Little things that could cause trouble:
- Make sure you don't have any small lighting staying on with the key off. It's happened before.
- If you use switches for accessories with inbuilt pilot lamps, make sure they're hooked up correctly. Leaving a pilot or three on can cause trouble.
- Check any wiring you've added, and make sure there's no mechanical interference that could be causing a short somewhere. It's possible for current in a short to be limited by wire gage, so pay attention to smaller wires especially (it's rare, but I've seen stranger...)

If I had a digital copy of wiring diagrams, I'd offer to email them to you - but I can't send what I don't have. I'm fairly sure someone will have them, all I ask is do not post a link to scans! If you're going to share that sort of file, please keep it backchannel...

I have an older Jeep ('90) and each fuse is depicted in the owners manual. Do you have an owners manual? There is available a FSM for each individual year of XJ. They can be purchased. You might check the PBB for a manual, if you don't have one. Or you may try ebay, that's where I found mine a few years back.
Mike

Found a description online. The ones inside were easy, but I was looking for a decription of what the smaller fuses under the hood fed. Turns out 1.2 Amps was from radio + inside illumination. The remaining current seems to have been due to a wire / connection that was bumped loose from the steering column. Out of desperation I simply pushed on all of the connections I could have possibly jarred loose. No more problems.

I hate that it just seemed to go away. That just means I'll have to be ready the next time it decides to play games.

gte636p said:
Found a description online. The ones inside were easy, but I was looking for a decription of what the smaller fuses under the hood fed. Turns out 1.2 Amps was from radio + inside illumination. The remaining current seems to have been due to a wire / connection that was bumped loose from the steering column. Out of desperation I simply pushed on all of the connections I could have possibly jarred loose. No more problems.

I hate that it just seemed to go away. That just means I'll have to be ready the next time it decides to play games.

A slight draw for the radio with the key OFF is normal - it's called "keep alive current," and keeps the clock and presets going. The ECU should draw about the same amount of current with the key OFF, for the same use (not for presets and clock, but for "keep alive" memory.)

I don't know what each of those should come up to, but I'm fairly certain that both of them together should not add up to an ampere - RAM may be picky about power, but it's not hungry for it...

Greg your link was not valid anymore. Take a look. I need this diagram with the index of what each fuse is for my 96XJ. Any ideas? Thanks, Theresa

Maybe because this is a 11yr old thread?

Back