• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Please help me find the source of this tranny leak (93 2WD)

amart565

NAXJA Forum User
My girlfriend recently bought my brother's jeep and it has a leak in the transmission I can't fix. I put a new transmission pan gasket as well as filter, thinking it would've helped the leak, it didn.t Here are some pictures. Whever it is leakin from leaks onto the crossmember and down onto the ground.

Sorry for the crappy pictures, I still dont have a Digital camera. This is from my phone.

Jeep2.jpg

Jeep1.jpg

All that stuff on where the driveshaft meets the tranny is tranny fluid, or dirt and tranny fluid that trickles onto the crossmember then onto the ground

looks like it could be coming from the speed sensor " o " ring ,
but hard to tell from the pics .

take it to a car wash and spray the crap / dirt off before removing the sensor .
the o-ring is pretty cheap and easy to change .
just mark the position of the sensor housing to trans for easy reassembly .

amart565 said:
Which one of those is the speed sensor? and can I buy a speed sensor o ring by itself?
They're both speed sensors. The smaller one on the top is the output shaft speed sensor used by the tranny to control shift points.

The bigger one on the bottom just above the tranny mount is the vehicle speed sensor (VSS) which controls the speedo gauge. It looks like it is the one leaking. Just pull the one bolt holding it on. Pull it out (note the way it went in, it can be installed in four different positions depending on which speedo gear you have). Pull the o-ring off and take it to napa and match it up with a new one. Install in reverse order.

amazing, I have the exact same leak on my 93! It looks like you snuck under my Jeep and took a pic! I have an oring assortment that I bought to fix it, just haven't had the time. Question, will I lose a lot of fluid from there? Is this a messy job?

you might want to go to the dealership for that o-ring. when i replaced them on my jeep, nobody in town could match them up with any of theirs. it was only like $4 from the dealership and fit perfect.

just figured i'd give you a heads up incase you pull the sensor and then don't have a vehicle to go hunting for parts with. LOL

I replaced the O ring today, cost me 29 cents at napa. I ahd them match it up. The one that came off was squared off, and the one they gave me was rounded, It was fun trying to get it to fit in, but some gentle (not being sarcastic) tapping with a rubber mallet got the sensor back in. In a way I'm glad it was as snug as it was. I'm not sure if the thing is still leaking, because when I pulled it, It poured tranny fluid all over me (forgot to drain it doh) so theres still fluid all under it. I'm hoping that that fixed it.

Back