• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine replacement questions in Seattle.

MonkeyBoy

NAXJA Forum User
I currently have a 4.0 RENIX with an auto tranny in a 89 XJ. I'm just looking to have a normal rebuilt engine, or a crate engine put in.

About how much should I expect to pay for a rebuilt Vs. a low mileage doner type engine?

About how much should labor run?

Is stepping up to a HO a noticable bang for the buck(considering I won't be doing it myself)?

And most importantly, where is a good trustworthy place to go to for this in the greater Seattle area?

The Jeep in question is leaking out of every seal, and it's got like 250,000 miles on it. So I'm t hinking it's time for a fresh start. I'm not looking for a stroker or anything, I mostly just tool around town, and go camping up on the fire/logging roads up past Enumclaw. I plan on some lifing and some mild offroading/crawling, but nothing extreme.

Anyway, the body's in good shape, no rust, only minor dings, etc. etc. I'm debating if it will be worth it to swap in a new engine, convert to a post '92 cooling system, etc. etc. or if I should just sell it and invest a few more grand into a lower mileage, newer XJ. Something mid 90's seems to be in my price range. No sorry, I haven't ID'ed the axles or anything just yet.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,
MB

Give the boys down at Auburn Car Repair and Offroad a call. Competitive pricing and the knowledge to go along with it. Alot of Jeeps go through the shop. Give John Mathews a call at 253-939-5019. Tell him your situation and he can give you an estimate on costs, labor, parts, ect...

I agree with the comments above. They are definetly who I would go for this type of work.

I also would suggest that the engine with 250K might be a LONG way from needing to be replaced. You might find you are much better replacing a few gaskets and seals and running it as is.

Good luck with the project.
Michael

You can get a rebuilt long block for around 1k to 1200 from the place over in E washington (cant remember the name off hand... they are on the web) and swapping to an HO is a waste IMO. Best way to swap is to sell your renix rig and buy an HO. The gain is min. and only diffrence will be an OBD 1 system.

Back